The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedo and power steering

cainhead

My speedo keeps dropping out. Then all of a sudden it works again, had it out and changed the connectors on the kph/mph convertor, but no luck. Checked with the multimeter and everything has power. All other gauges are fine. Any help welcome.

Secondly the power steering keeps coming in and out. The guy next door reckons its the pump, as the fluid is ok, and I have checked the crank pulley, or whetever its called, did the white mark thing and its still in line after some miles.

All help very welcome, and if it would be the pump, anyone got one for sale.

cheers in advance.

Both of those symptoms link to an issue with the speedo converter or supply of the signal from the speed sensor.

The PAS is a progressive one and adjusts based on speed. If the converter is sending a poor signal to the ECU it'll stuff the PAS assistance level.

What speedo converter do you have fitted, which wires does it join to and be where is it located?

Most of the cr*p on ebay doesn't provide ECU feedback to the PAS, cruise, etc. however it sounds like you have a poor connection somewhere on the along the line.

Not sure the name of the convertor but the orginal blue (mph) wirt from the back of the sppedo connects to the yellow (kph) wire which goes into the convertor. Ot of the convertor is the a red wire, blue, and a green. They all connect to the back of the speedo on the circuit board. The blue wire also connects with a lighter blue wire, which then goes to the odometer.

What I found weird was the point at which the green (earth) wire connects to the back of the speedo, has a 12v reading on the multimeter when tested.

A little confused you might say.

Fecking 'ell, only just spotted your username, It's been a long time since we last spoke Andy! Hope all is well with you :)

For the speedo issue, have a good look at the diagrams posted here and track back: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=112141

If you get stuck and find yourself in the Reading area drop by and I'll take a look at it.

I know long time no speak, funny I have just been passed Reading tonight, my old man lives down the A33. So I may take you up on that.

Will check that thread first.

Is there still a reading meet going on these days. Gutted they stopped the Ace cafe, I only live 1 mile away.