The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhausts, police and dB limits

1JZGTE

On Friday afternoon, I met up with a friend of mine whose recently bought a 1995 Jap spec TT. I have pointed him in the dirrection of the forum and hopefully he'll sign up :D

The car has an air filter, decat and exhaust. Not sure what the exhaust is, car came from Japan like that. Looks / sounds nice.

Anyhow, he took me for a quick spin :eyebrows: , nothing overzealous / dangerous / irresponsible , but just enough to see how the car performs.

At one point, the driver noticed that a Ford Mondeo has been following the car for a good 10 mins. Soon as he mentioned this, the blues and twos came on.

He immediately pulled over, we both got out and approached the officer. Reasonable chap - asked where we've been, if he had been drinking (it was only 2pm :D ) and that he stopped the car because he felt he booted off too quick at a set of lights earlier.

He then did a roadside name and address check, went back to the undercover car, came back and said "and by the way I think that exhaust is a too loud." And sent us on our way.

Now then;

1. Is this just a random check and that's that or will the driver get something through the post eg. summons for something

2. Officer stated exhaust is too loud - is there legislation that states what is and what isn't loud and what the relevant limits / measurements are? The exhaust on the car passed its MOT as it is, although I understand that with MOTs it is at the discretion of the tester, which is neither here or there as I guess there must be a legal noice limit to abide by?

:)

The db limit for an exhaust is 85db im quite sure new legislation has been brought in this year. I got a £30 fine for my exhaust only 4wks ago at 2000rpm my db reading was 102db i think it depands on the cop you get ive been pulled a couple of times and has never been an issue before.

Where i live (Hereford), the police have been issuing these £30 fines like there is no tommorow, the legislation as it is worded is not about any set db limit, as say at a track, it just says if the exhaust is louder than standard it is illegal, i.e if you lined the two cars up, one being factory standard, the other having for eg a blitz exhaust, the blitz is obv louder, making it in the eyes of the plod illegal. :tongue:

Where this falls down is ferraris and tvr's are mental loud out of the factory, so it is kind of a class divide, and also it is in the OPINION, of the officer, so you could be unlucky and get a cnut who hates nice cars. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant i have had several of these bloody stealth taxing fines :(

Where i live (Hereford), the police have been issuing these £30 fines like there is no tommorow, the legislation as it is worded is not about any set db limit, as say at a track, it just says if the exhaust is louder than standard it is illegal, i.e if you lined the two cars up, one being factory standard, the other having for eg a blitz exhaust, the blitz is obv louder, making it in the eyes of the plod illegal. :tongue:

Where this falls down is ferraris and tvr's are mental loud out of the factory, so it is kind of a class divide, and also it is in the OPINION, of the officer, so you could be unlucky and get a cnut who hates nice cars. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant i have had several of these bloody stealth taxing fines :(

I never ever had any problems with my Nur spec when I had my Supra around Hereford and I use to drive to work at 2am back then LOL Loud even with the baffle :D

I got stopped a few weeks ago for my exhaust being to loud.

The cop just had a little moan a walk round my car and let me on my way.

Pretty much same as me, he made a note of the make. I don't think he'd have been bothered but I think he just missed on catching me being a bit naughty, I think he heard me coming

Guest chris080982

If your mate wasnt told he would be processed for the offence then he hasnt been. Noisey exhuast is a £30 non endorsable ticket which he would have been given a copy of at the time he was reported.

If the copper wasnt a traffic cop then he would not have the training and would not be able to tell if the exhaust noise was over the requirement by law/

He probably wanted to look at the car :p

The db limit for an exhaust is 85db im quite sure new legislation has been brought in this year. I got a £30 fine for my exhaust only 4wks ago at 2000rpm my db reading was 102db i think it depands on the cop you get ive been pulled a couple of times and has never been an issue before.

That's quite worrying as mine, during the MOT, was measured at 89db. That's with no second cat.

Might wait until I get a quieter exhaust system until I fit the de-cat manifold sitting in the garage!:blink: