The mkiv Supra Owners Club

too much oil

jackso11

I drained the oil out today, changed the oild filter, and put 5L of oil back in.

Left the car for a couple of hours to settle, just checked the dip stick and there seems to be to much oil in now.

The level is slightly above the solid metal part of the dip stick and on to the cable. Is this going to damage the engine?

I thought 5L was the correct amount to fill after draining from the sump plug? with an extra 1L kept aside to top it up if needed?

It's a good idea to fill the filter up as best you can without it spilling when fitting it. If you are sure you emptied it all I would run it for a couple of minutes, then let it settle down and check again must be on a flat surface thogh as has been stated. The pressure is at it's greatest on starting so you just need to run it enough to get the air out of it.

Normal procedure is too top the oil up to the correct level on the dipstick then run the engine for a minute or so, switch it off for another minute and check the level. It will have dropped slightly due to filling the oil filter (if also changed). then top the oil up again to the correct level.

After that I would also run the engine to full operating temp and check the level again after the engine is left to cool overnight just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice. Ran the engine for a couple of minutes ad idle, left for 5 mins and checked the level, it is now slightly under the correct full level so I will top it up slightly when it is light again :)

What were toyota thinking when they put the filter in there! my arm is covered in scratches now. haha