The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for a Supra - Need help

AWOL

My wife has had the upper hand for too long! She has a 55 plated Celica T-Sport and I've had to put up with my Avensis Tourer T180 and the Grandad jibes along with it (I'm only 37 for goodness sake!!), but I'm now looking to address that by getting myself what I consider to be one of the best, classic sports cars around.

I have seen a Supra that I am viewing tomorrow (Monday 21st September) and the guy is telling me the model is a 3.2 SX??

I've looked quite extensively on the net and really struggling to find such a model number. Could the guy have made a mistake on the model number or is this a rare varient?

Any help and advise greatly appreciated.

Btw, the car looks superb from the photo's, immaculate even so it's really got me interested - 51k on the clock, 'L' reg. The description does also say its 3000cc, not 3.2 and is an automatic, so a bit confusing - He did mention that the last owner had re mapped it, so again is it actually a 3 litre but with some tweaks??

Also, any advice on what to look out for in checking out a used Supra, again the photo's of the engine and interior make it look new - only 1 owner so it's possible this has really been a labour of love and well looked after.

Thanks in advance everyone, Andy.

Edited by AWOL
Extra info added (see edit history)

The 3.2 sx is crap. ignore that. I wouldnt say its massively overpriced. it looks like a nice example. However it doesnt sound like the owner knows what he is talking about.

So how do you know its been serviced properly? at the correct intervals?

I VERY much doubt that its been tweeked. Just looks like a stock NA to me that hasnt been touched at all. To have it remapped you would have to have a seperate ECU as you cant remap the stock one. which is a couple of grand i would expect. and thats a bit pointless on an NA with no other mods :p

As others have been said. Buy from the site. the owners know what they talk about. :p. I got my 2nd supe from a member. with an absolute shedload of history and reciepts for every part on the car. Even several diarys with things listed of shows the car went to. long trips taken. how the car performed and the miles it covered. when bits were changed and how they performed. cant beat that.

The one you are looking at in the autotrader is way overpriced IMO

True. It looks ok but too expensive. DaveK sold his blue facelift, 5 speed for £3800 a couple of weeks ago. There are a lot of dogs out there and not many with evidence of service history..!!

Take your time and get one from a trusted source. This club is the best way of ensuring you don't pick up a lemon...!!

Welcome.....BTW...;)

H.

As mentioned - very over priced that vehicle!!! Looks clean and standard enough (although the silver paint looks quite flat especially if its been prepped for sale by a dealer!)

For that money you would get a nice club member vehicle, follow the advice you recieve here and you won't go wrong.

(Fwiw I looked at many Supra's almost nearly every other weekend for over 1 year, yet ended up with some luck with a club memebers car which instantly ticked all the boxes and then some! Clearly worth the wait)

Many thanks and good advice.

Any advice re running costs?

Does picking up one of the "good ones" mean that apart from petrol and lots of polish and decent oil you should be able to run a Supra just as any other 3ltr car?

Or do you have to spend quite a bit each month simply because of the age of these cars?

Once again all advice welcome...

Btw - I am wanting to use the car as normal, i.e. to and from work (20 mile round trip) and not just at weekends. Work has secure off street parking at home it will be in the garage.

I'm really hoping that the running costs wont be any more than say a 3.2lts GSI vectra or something but obviously with alot more style !! btw sorry for the bad language (Vauxhall !!)

Spike3.0, thanks for that.

I got pm'd by the owner of that...lexsum.

So I've already expessed an interest...your right, looks very clean and well looked after

Usual problem tho'...if he accepted credit card I could buy it and then sell my Avensis later but as its a private sale I need to sell mine first to get the cash...but then cant get to work!! and so on.... He's said he'sin no rush so who knows?

btw, as mentioned on my opening thread, although it may be a mid life crisis at 37 I'm wanting a stock, not messed or modded Supra. I'm never going to be or have enough spare money to try and be an extra in the Fast and the Furious so it's just a great classic sports car to use everyday...but classy.

The Supra appears to tick every box and the many threads on here suggest reliabilty, class and great fun to be had with a rediculous amount of scope for extras should you have the money later....thus my reasons for a standard car start point.

Please tell me if I'm well off the mark here!

Again, UK spec TT or any standard J import - any pref?, especially for insurance etc...do Insurance companies frown on Supra's because they are all imports? or is it just modding that bumps the prices up?

Blimey you can tell I'm new to this cant you...willing to learn tho'..cheers.

By 3.2 SX I guess they meant 3.0 SZ, which means it's a non-turbo version.

If looked after like any car should be (i.e. it doesn't need special/expensive attention such as engine oil that's been bathed in by 20 year old virgins :D), then they are indeed extremely reliable. Performance wise, the twin turbo versions have far greater scope for modifications than the NA version.

You should find that UK models are a bit cheaper to insure, but I think there's less difference these days, especially once you're over 30. Several years ago the word "import" would have caused most insurance companies to have a funny turn, but they're used to them now, hence reasonable premiums.

The NA version, whilst no slouch, will be troubled by smaller, newer, lighter cars at low to medium speeds.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

By 3.2 SX I guess they meant 3.0 SZ, which means it's a non-turbo version.

If looked after like any car should be (i.e. it doesn't need special/expensive attention such as engine oil that's been bathed in by 20 year old virgins :D), then they are indeed extremely reliable. Performance wise, the twin turbo versions have far greater scope for modifications than the NA version.

You should find that UK models are a bit cheaper to insure, but I think there's less difference these days, especially once you're over 30. Several years ago the word "import" would have caused most insurance companies to have a funny turn, but they're used to them now, hence reasonable premiums.

The NA version, whilst no slouch, will be troubled by smaller, newer, lighter cars at low to medium speeds.

Thanks, presume the NA's are the 240 ish bhp engines then with only the TT's being the 300+ bhp models (unless single turbo and modded??)