The mkiv Supra Owners Club

loosing water?

tony tt

Hi folks over the past two days ive noticed my supe using a ton of water. I replaced the rad cap with a new one filled the radiator and expansion tank to the mark i let the car sit and idle for a while and it seemed fine under the car no leaks at all.

I took the car a drive a small bit spirited on the way home but checked the expansion tank when i got back and it was still on the mark and underneath no leaks. I got out to it this morning and it was completely empty and a big puddle mark where its pissed itself dry?? Any thoughts to what it could be....

Ive checked the bottom hose and it seems ok but it looks like the water is getting out from the back of the engine somewhere according to where the water on the ground has run from. I dont understand it at all. I hope its not another garage bill. i dont get how its holding water till after its been driven then prolapses :blink:

You could try looking at the water pump itself to see if there's any water leaking from it whilst the engine is on. Look where the water seems to be coming from as well, as you may see damp pipes etc which may be an indication of where/why you are losing coolant.

In regards to a Rough Price...I'll get back to you

You could try looking at the water pump itself to see if there's any water leaking from it whilst the engine is on. Look where the water seems to be coming from as well, as you may see damp pipes etc which may be an indication of where/why you are losing coolant.

In regards to a Rough Price...I'll get back to you

Thanks mate i see them advertised for between £60 and £100 so i suppose its not that expensive its the labour costs im worried about.

If it was the pump though would the water not just sit in the radiator rather than lose it all? I think it could be loose pipes at the back.....fingers crossed!!

I tried to search through my Inbox regarding when I had mine changed, no luck but IIRC it was around £80 + VAT can't guarantee it, but I think you're on the right course with up to £100.

Let's hope it could be split pipes as it will be a cheaper alternative. I don't know if it will be much help but read through my old thread and see what other people have suggested, as I said not sure if it'll be of any use :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=181248

I tried to search through my Inbox regarding when I had mine changed, no luck but IIRC it was around £80 + VAT can't guarantee it, but I think you're on the right course with up to £100.

Let's hope it could be split pipes as it will be a cheaper alternative. I don't know if it will be much help but read through my old thread and see what other people have suggested, as I said not sure if it'll be of any use :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=181248

Thanks for your help mate! Can you remember the labour cost for fitting one?

I had one of the matrix pipes at the back explode on the M8, they worked out at about £130 from Toyota.

I also sold a new geniune pump for £50 not that long ago, so they are available a bit cheaper.

Hopefully it is just something simple as those pipes at the back are a total cnut to get into, turned out to be the thermostat causing all my problems.