The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID install help

Supranature

Ask me to change a domestic fuse board-no problem.

Rewire a house-no problem

Pixelfills rear fog conversion-1 hour, no problem:p

Fit a "plug and play" Hid kit-problem :taped:

Attached is one half of the Knightracer HID kit. Pic 1

The loom where it attaches to the existing bulb wiring. Pic 2+3.

Ballast as per the diagram. Pic 4.

Pic 5 is a shot of one of the connecters, one red, one black, what they are there for is a mystery, and probably herein lies the problem :search: They fix to each other, but seemingly to nothing else.

Anyway, have plugged, but will they play? No chance.

The Chinese/English instructions are, at best, Niz-like.

They do mention taking a feed from the battery, but to where?

I'm wondering if a component or relay is missing.

Any help for this "simple" task would be appreciated

DSCN1269.jpg

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

DSCN1272.jpg

DSCN1273.jpg

I'm glad you raised this thread as soon enough I'll be in the same predicament. Will be keen to know how these "plug and play" HID systems go.

note: Sorry to be of no help whatsoever :)

I managed to fit mine myself (woohoo) in under half an hour and I'm a complete tit when it comes to cars.

Hardest part is working out where and how to secure them.

I have the same system. You plug the ballast into the loom that normally goes to the bulb, as you have done. Then you connect the cable from the "bulb" to the cable coming from the ballast. Looking at picture one it is all connected up correctly and it just needs plugging into the headlight loom. But..... i seem to remember when fitting mine that the red and black cables were not the correct way round, so try swapping the two connectors. Give Joe or Albert a call, i did the same thing when i was struggling

I managed to fit mine myself (woohoo) in under half an hour and I'm a complete tit when it comes to cars.

Hardest part is working out where and how to secure them.

See, it should only take half an hour or so.I know about ballast mounting and placement issues, I just cant get mine to fire up.

I have changed polarity, no difference.

It seems fom past threads that an additional feed from the battery is required. To where.......:search:

Aaaaargh!

There is no facility within the supplied loom for any augmentive wiring.

I have the same system. You plug the ballast into the loom that normally goes to the bulb, as you have done. Then you connect the cable from the "bulb" to the cable coming from the ballast. Looking at picture one it is all connected up correctly and it just needs plugging into the headlight loom. But..... i seem to remember when fitting mine that the red and black cables were not the correct way round, so try swapping the two connectors. Give Joe or Albert a call, i did the same thing when i was struggling

Ok, Jacko, will give that a go now.Thanks.

You don't need a battery feed on this kit (well i havent got one) I wouldnt say this was a particularly cheap kit due to it's plug and play (ish) nature. I can remember having some sort of problem, im pretty sure it was a polarity issue, but you're saying you've tried this, so im not sure

Edited by jacko (see edit history)

Most kits come with an additional loom for the battery wiring, unfortunately buying cheap Chinese kits at an inflated price means you often miss out on things like this :(

No, Michael, this was bought on a Knightracer group buy.

I have realised that an additional loom may be required, but as to where it fits, I have no idea.

Making another loom presents no problem. I'm stumped (for once :p)

No, Michael, this was bought on a Knightracer group buy.

Like I said, cheap Chinese kits at inflated prices :innocent:

Someone may have a spare loom from another kit that they can give to you but it should work without it.

Is your battery healthy?

Earths good?

Check all connections are clean.

Swap HID kit from one side to the other to see if that makes a difference.

I had a problem with one of them just flashing a very small pulse of light, the other no light at all, I took them out again cleaned the Supra connectors and refitted, you have to ensure the connector is pushed all the way home and the polarity is correct

So outside I shall go to try again. Thank God for decent weather:D

Sorted.

It seems the plug that goes to the existing bulb plug is not a good fit.

Upon closer inspection following your collective advice, I gave it a good, no really good, push. Hey, Presto-it worked. Doh! :(

So, for reference, ensure this is pushed FULLY home, or you'll end up looking a fool, like me :innocent:

Thanks for the input, guys, and for Michael pointing out the inadequacies of my puchase :p

i was lost aswell so i got supramkivcork to fit them

in cork his known as superman now i know why:):):):):)

The thing is, if you refer back to my 1st post, I have no difficulty with complicated fuseboards, two/three way wiring, etc. This is what had me stumped, such an allegedly simple job.

Can't wait till 8pm to see the difference :D