The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost for fitting replica (Car Mad Styling) skirts/spats?

OhGod

Obviously the quality of the kit impacts the cost a lot, but these are from Car Mad Styling on eBay which had good reviews, and they seemed quite good in my crude 'hold up' test.

Trouble is I've dropped them into a body shop and the guy there has had a look over and started doing the old intake of breath through teeth, and muttering that they'd need a lot of work to fit, etc.

I don't really know anything about body kits/spraying so would like some rough figures for costs, and what other people had to do to fit so that if he comes back with some huge figure and 3 days of machining to fit I'd have some info to discuss with him.

Cheers,

Gareth.

well i had the skirts from them and then knight racer fitted them. I also had a a front and back bumper fitted aswell and the skirts were the only part they didnt have a problem with.

the car mad skirts are direct moulds from genuine parts. the seller is on here somewhere and actualy purchased the oem bits the make the moulds himself so are not copies of copies. ive never seen any issues.

I would pm KR, they would give you an average price for fitting. they have fitted them a number of times also. Then you can tell if your shop are pulling a fast one.

Just went to a local bodyshop to get a quote for :

Removal of old wing

Sand + respray etc of TRD wing (sides) + fitting

Removal of rear spats, fix up as they're stone chipped, respray + protective film + fitting

All in £400 inc vat. Quote's at home, I'll try and get you the spats only portion of the quote.

I'm having a few other parts fitted too - front lip also from Car Mad, and a TRD replica from the KR group buy - but it seemed to be the skirts/spats he singled out as being 'tricky'.

This is the first time I've had body kits fitted, so be good to know if he is trying to pull a fast one.

Cheers for the answers people,

G.

OK, he reckons spoiler is no problem at £160 for paint and fit, but the skirts seem to have got him really confused! He can't seem to see how they fit to the wing, and keeps going on about some 'right-angled' bit that's supposed to go somewhere. :confused:

Gonna have to take time off work to go and see him tomorrow, but as it seems me as a complete noob is going to have to show him how to fit the kit means I'm rapidly losing confidence in him! (Though I have seen other stuff he's done and it looks good quality.)

Anyone got any bodyshop recommendations for the South West!

Newnham Body Repairs in Plympton, Devon. Had a look over a couple other cars he's had a hand in and they look good. Maybe he's just not used to fitting cheap eBay tack (albeit, in this case, 'tack' with near universal praise).

Certainly he was looking to blend everything in rather than just bolt it on which seemed to suggest an eye for quality/perfection, but I don't have the money to justify that kind of spraying/blending costs at the moment and the bolted on look (as the factory fit ones are anyway) seems good enough for now.

Hmm.

Try ShellShocked in Wrights Lane, speak to a guy called Rich, my car is there at the moment, just say Abs sent you, I am getting alot of work done on it there including the same side skirts fitted form Car Mad Styling. Im sure he can help you out, I drive 200 miles to get my car there, as im located in London.

I would say to have side skirts fitted would cost roughly £200 thats blended and not bolted on.

Btw Torquay is an awesome place. When I go to pick the car up any suggestions as to where to go for just chilling out?