The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which 1jz?

Kearney

Well as the thread says above, I'm getting a 1jzgte fitted to my car next month before the trackday. My problem is which one to go for. I'm going to have a reputable garage do the work for me as due to a health condition I can't do it anymore myself.

Either

jzx90 - twin turbo non vvti

OR

jzx100 - single turbo vvti

Tbh the single turbo engine appeals to me alot more, its got more torque than the other engine and it gets it at lower rpm too. Plus its a newer engine etc. I plan to have at most 400bhp next year out of either one. Problem is.... which one to go for? The vvti engine is 400 euro more. The prices I've been given include everything to do the conversion.

Just looking for some imput on my decision. Regardless whats happening I'll be getting one of them

Cheers

If you're sticking within the capabilities of the standard turbo I would go vvti (I believe that's a fair bit less than 400bhp), I hear it's a slightly more complicated conversion but you have a much nicer torque curve and less weight with the single turbo setup. However if you're going for more, I'd go pre-vvti, seems to be more parts around for it and less hassle to map (from what I understand).

If you're sticking within the capabilities of the standard turbo I would go vvti (I believe that's a fair bit less than 400bhp), I hear it's a slightly more complicated conversion but you have a much nicer torque curve and less weight with the single turbo setup. However if you're going for more, I'd go pre-vvti, seems to be more parts around for it and less hassle to map (from what I understand).

Yeah, is what ways is it harder to do? Just wondering incase they go charging me alot more if they run into complications?

Yeah, is what ways is it harder to do? Just wondering incase they go charging me alot more if they run into complications?

It's supposed to be much harder to wire up, but I can't give you anything too specific as I don't have either myself. I was investigating the swap as an option. :)

Id deffo go pre VVTI, more simple set up, as Alex said more parts available

It's supposed to be much harder to wire up, but I can't give you anything too specific as I don't have either myself. I was investigating the swap as an option. :)

So I'm possibly opening up a can of worms getting the vvti engine in, Well I suppose that solves that problem :(

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone enlighten me as to why you would switch a MKIV engine for a MKIII engine? I am sure there are reasons, I just don't know them. Done a good search and can see a lot of people seem to do it but can't find why.
Untunable 2JZ-GE non-turbo to tunable, cheaper than a 2JZ-GTE, and less likely to muller the W58 gearbox, 1JZ-GTE turbo. :)

Can someone enlighten me as to why you would switch a MKiv engine for a MKiii engine?

I am sure there are reasons, I just don't know them. Done a good search and can see a lot of people seem to do it but can't find why.

Kearney is planning on swapping a non-turbo 2JZGE for a turbo 1JZGTE engine. I'd expect the 1JZ will be a bit cheaper and easier to come by compared to a 2JZGTE.

The 2.5L 1JZ is a shorter stroked version of the 2JZ, so is revvier. The engines being considered are from the 92-00 5th/6th generation Chasers, these are quite popular cars in the Far East and there are a lot of tuning parts available for them.

ahh ok. So it is only really NA people that would make the switch.

If you have a 2JZ-GTE TT then there is no real benefit in switching back to an older 1JZ-GTE. right?

Right--ish

The 1JZ is quite a bit more revvy than the 2JZ and from what I've looked into its lighter as well. You can squeeze with a single some pretty impressive figures from it. If you want a revvy engine that is cheap (you should release some equity with a px and fitting fee's) and easy to then big single, you may find a slightly more responsive street car.

For an NA upgrade I seriously wouldn't bother with a 2JZ tt lump as they are soooo sodding expensive (unless you pick up a steal of an aristo) I'd stick a 1JZ in and look at putting the difference towards a single tubby setup. I'd go with the VVTi as a stronger platform as you are gonna need aftermarket fettling any ways with a big single, and I've heard some really good things about the VVTi 1JZ lump.

However if you're going for more, I'd go pre-vvti, seems to be more parts around for it and less hassle to map (from what I understand).

I'd have thought there would be more aftermarket parts available for the newer JZX100 VVTi engine (just guessing here), the JZX90's an old car now in Japanese terms.

VVTi is commonplace these days and should be no more difficult to tune than a non-VVTi engine.

I'd personally go with the later model 1JZGTE VVTi engine.

I've never driven a manual 1JZ, so this is second-hand, but I have seen reviews of the TT manual which criticised the 1JZ's comparative lack of low-down torque.

The single-turbo VVTi addressed that issue:

TT - max torque 268 lb/ft @ 4800 rpm

VVTi - max torque 278 lb/ft @ 2400 rpm

http://www.3sgte.com/1JZGTE.htm

The problem would be that there probably aren't many modified VVTis in the UK and Ireland, although Abbey have worked on one (which is now in Ireland).

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I've never driven a manual 1JZ, so this is second-hand, but I have seen reviews of the TT manual which criticised the 1JZ's comparative lack of low-down torque.

The single-turbo VVTi addressed that issue:

TT - max torque 268 lb/ft @ 4800 rpm

VVTi - max torque 278 lb/ft @ 2400 rpm

http://www.3sgte.com/1JZGTE.htm

The problem would be that there probably aren't many modified VVTis in the UK and Ireland, although Abbey have worked on one (which is now in Ireland).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/conora2b/Soarer/Black%20Beast/MM%20Show%2013%2004%2008/PICT0109.jpg

Abbey did map the VVTI in the picture but charged an absolute arm and leg for it. I had that car at the time (looking after it for the owner) and saw the bill. They used an HKS F Con Pro V for it as that is what it had on it in Japan and the Jap tuner told the owner to get one for over here so he did.

If you know what power and tune level you want and you can find all the bits for that for a vvti then go for the vvti, but things for it are less common and dearer. Think of tuning a 2JZGTE VVTI and you will have the same sort of issues.