The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J spec headlight cleaning

MizTheWiz

:) Hi guys lights all sorted today even if i did have to re-fit in the rain .

Used Brasso in the end found some in a rusty old tin in a cupboard works great.

All shiny now and even removed some of the scratches.

Thanks again

Miz

P.S. was hard trying to explaine to G/F why roast spuds tasted of plastic today but such is life HeeHee.........

• 10 months later...
Im a noob

I need to clean my front lights (main ones) as they have that ooogly yellow tint due to old age i guess

My question is, how the hell do i clean em? i.e how do i get the buggers out :-)

Ta

Paul

Hi Paul

Take a trip down to Halfords and look for some Turtle Wax Safe Cut Scratch Remover, Mawby put me onto this stuff, it's in a tube, squirt a bit out onto a cloth and work it into the headlight, cover one headlight and then leave for a about a minute and then rub off.

Excellent stuff and works a treat, have got some pics of the difference here

Hope that helps :)

I used the turtlewax too on my lights and it worked fairly well. I had done only the passenger side light in the pic below. However, the drivers side light, although done now, did not come up as well as I wanted. Perhaps due to yellowing on the inside.

http://www.urbanracing.co.uk/events/su020105/021.jpg

wow Jive i couldnt have asked for a better reply than that, many thanks

Just to clarify then , i dont have to remove the lights and clean behind the front to get rid of the yellowness, its on the front of the light only?

Ta!

Paul

No probs, just glad to help with an answer, usually everyone else beats me to it :)

If the yellowing is on the outside of the headlight then yeah it should mean no removal of the headlights. I have done a write up of how to take the headlights out but I can't find it on my site, try using the search and you should find plenty of stuff about this :)

I did have to do my headlights a couple of times but just the first application made a hell of a difference, only trouble is that you need to do it on a fairly regular occurance, I think the yellowness comes from all the crap and grime on the roads, I've still got loads of the stuff left after about 5 applications so far :)