The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removing yellowness from headlights

a98pmalcolm

Hi guys. i know its been spoken about recently but i have found a great way to remove that yellow faded look from your headlights!

I tryed this the other day and it worked great (sorry no pics)

I used std T-Cut not the metalic stuff, the stuff designed for flat coloured cars.

Damp the cloth, use plenty and start working in with circular motions, push quite hard.

leave to dry for 15 mins and with another cloth thats dry, start scubbing as hard and u can with a side to side motion.

Me and my mate were like "WOW" the look new. lol. Have a go and hope i have helped anyone

Paul

It's when they start to yellow on the inside that it becomes a real issue. Only way to truly sort the problem, is buy some new facelifts or glass UK lamps.

why would buying facelifts prevent this? :search: they still yellow in time. best way to sort it and i stand by this method is take lenses off, remove the yellowing from both sides, polish the insides and then clearcoat the outsides

why would buying facelifts prevent this? :search: they still yellow in time. best way to sort it and i stand by this method is take lenses off, remove the yellowing from both sides, polish the insides and then clearcoat the outsides

I never said prevent it, I said only way to truly sort the problem is to buy new lights. You can refurb all you want, but they'll never look as nice as a new set.

I never said prevent it, I said only way to truly sort the problem is to buy new lights. You can refurb all you want, but they'll never look as nice as a new set.

Take a look at the set Martin refurbished, they came up pretty well! Just polishing without clearcoat doesn't last long at all though, as I've discovered several times. :)

try using G3 compound mate..... that will sort the frot of them it all depends ow screwed they are behind the lense

G3 is far too abrasive, I used it and it left a lot of little scratches (though it did look better than before).

thanks for the kinda word sir! :D

once cleared will NEVER yellow again and if your telling me these dont look as good as new you must be more fussy than me :p

I just had mine G3'd and they look amazing nw mate....maybe i just got lucky? :)

Maybe! To be honest I was amazed at first then a week or two later I noticed all the little scratches left in there, so I had them machine polished. If you're happy then don't look too closely, you might be dissapointed. :)

Refurbing lights is a fun way of going about it. I enjoyed doing it as opposed to buying the facelift lights for mine.

Sense of satisfaction from doing so and they look good for next to nothing :)

I used Scratch X on the inside and outside of the lenses when split and they cleaned up pretty well.