The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought a transmission cooler on egay

hadyn

Will this be OK to mount in the passenger side front bumper duct?

Also will I need a fan to get the most out of this? (I'm buying this to lower the stresses that power braking and burnouts place on the auto box...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170338114225&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Not a bad price eh?

Edited by hadyn (see edit history)

Yep, I have one of that exact model in that location with a SPAL pull fan mounted to the back of it. I don't run the fan all the time - just hook it up when at the strip with a spade connection in the bay.

I also have another 2x stacked under the rad in the airflow under the car, these don't have fans.

I'm running a PI 3,800 stall torque convertor though so would be overkill for a stock TC - the one cooler with fan should be OK.

Cheers,

Brian.

A SPAL 7.5" fan like here:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=201&SearchYN=N

Use some metal strapping onto whatever stock holes you can find to mount the cooler in the passenger side opening.

I wouldn't worry too much about overcooling but if you're really concerned you could hook up some kind of thermostatic bypass to take the cooler out of the loop 'til a certain trans fluid temp.

sorry mate these coolers are cheap for a reason, ie they're crap, they are a very poor design and as far as i can tell are really a supliment to a "big ol V8" pulling a Winibago, i do have one on my car but its still there because i couldn't be bothered ripping it out, i now have it in series with a decent mocal oil cooler which probably does about 85% of the cooling, dont be fooled by the fact these are labeled a "transmission cooler", an oil cooler is an oil cooler regardless of what kind of oil its cooling, the very first thing you need is a temperature gauge on the transmission to see whats going on

• 2 weeks later...

OK received the cooler today. Looks quite nice for the money :)

Am I better off mounting this in the passenger side bumper duct (as I still have a smic) or should I put it behind the rad?

Im adding this cooler, just to keep temps lowish when drag racing/doing small burnouts

Did you find them not very good at cooling at all then paul?

Does anyone have any pics/guide on how to trace which is the sender and return pipe to the stock auto cooler please?

Am I better off mounting this in the passenger side bumper duct (as I still have a smic) or should I put it behind the rad?

sorry mate i missed this one and didn't answer your question after dismissing the coolers as "not very good", whats your set up, stock rad still connected, aftermarket rad, torque converter stall etc, i would say if you can manage it in front of the rad would be best to avoid turning it into a heater rather than a cooler, if you want to run it on the passenger side you would really need to duct it to make the most of it