The mkiv Supra Owners Club

first time buyer, advice please

Guest The Boz

Hi,

I’m looking for a standard tt manual, black, and I’ve got about 5k to spend. Is this gonna get me something half decent, or am I way under budget and gonna end up with a load of trouble?

I’ve seen a few online around the 5k mark, but haven’t as yet been to see any of them in the flesh so have no real idea what 5k will get me.

I know I’m being a bit picky but I've got my heart set on black, and I don’t like the sound of an auto.

So, is it start driving around the country looking at 5k's up for sale, or get saving and wait til I have more pennies in my pocket?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon

No chance!! You wont find a reliable manual 6 spd TT for that price and will struggle to find a reliable auto TT too. You are better off saving a few grand more or getting a really nice NA. Pay the membership fee, it will be the best £10 you ever spend. Have a browse through the classifieds on here to get a realistic idea of what your money will buy.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Hello Leon, :welcome: to the club mate.

From reading your post I take it that colour is more important than the car.

I suggest you think about Auto's as well, I always drive manual cars but after driving an Auto Supe,

would I get a manual? Not right now with the football season on no way!

5k will not get you a decent Black TT Manual, most of them will be pretty tatty.

Sometimes you do get bargins & people selling it cheap, but you need to properly look over the car.

Read this mate:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Loads of information on this site.

Hi,

So as a rough guide I should be aiming around 8k as a minimum then?

Thanks,

Leon

It all depends what you are after?

Why do you want a manual over an auto?

Do you want a standard TT or a BPU TT?

Check out Michael's supra thats for sale http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=189038

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

If you widen your search from just black cars, you may have more luck. I was originally after a black one (always bet on black!), but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. As it was, I got my (silver) Supra unabused and totally stock for an absolute BARGAIN price.

My 10 pence...

Abz,

Well this thread was just for me to get an idea of what I should pay to not be buying a heap. I figured here was probs best place to ask as I had no idea.

Jsy guy,

I've drove 2 auto's before and didn't like them. A vw passat we had as a lease car at work, and my mates ancient 1.4 corsa (no joke, i'm not tryin to wind you up). Now granted the box in a supra is gonna be in a different league, i still feel like it would take a lot of the driving experience out of the ride. Do you drive an auto? If so, how do you find it in comparison to a manual?

With regards to mods, I'm not after bpu or anything like that: I'd never insure it! What I'm really looking for is a budget standard tt, not bothered if its a bit bruised, but in good working order.

Thanks,

Leon