The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bit fed up

hogmaw

Just spent £71 filling up the supra. This weekend I have a 500 mile round trip to Plymouth which will cost about £140 in fuel alone.

I was looking forward to the trip when I suddenly thought well fook me that's a lot of cash. I can get a train there and back for less than £50 and sit back, read the paper and arrive in comfort, without the hassle of traffic jams and road works and the worry of speed cameras and police cars.

Driving the Supra just does not seem to make sense. Not on this occasion anyway.

I know what you mean. I have kept the run around I had before I bought my RZ a year ago (had intended on selling it straight away). Using the cheap one for half my annual mileage compared to using the Supra for all of it pays for its tax, MOT, insurance and servicing in the money saved on fuel alone. The Supra for me is a weekender. I can't consider selling it, but 'cos I only drive it on the weekends I love it all the more. Keeping the granny car for the time being.

Normally I wouldn't bat an eyelid at doing this journey. Just that I paid £71 for a tank of fuel, then seeing I would need 2 of them made be think a bit differently that's all.

That's one of the reason we got shot of ours. Two sometimes three tanks just to see my family at Xmas.

Our oil burner does it in less than one!

I'll also never forget the day out in the wilds of North Yorkshire that was delayed by having to drive all the way to Scarborough to get SUL as it needed some and there wasn't another Shell garage for miles.

Grand Tourer? Whatever....

What you need, Hogmaw, is a cheap smoker for such trips, like my 306td Ive got for sale *blatant plug* :D In my Aristo, cruise set at 80 I can get 320 miles on 3/4 a tank

I agree with the diesel runaround thing. :)

In between runarounds, I ran the Supe for two and a half years as an every dayer and I put on about 40,000 miles in that time, not to mention the obvious running costs.

I know its a PITA having to keep filling up and yes spending so much on fuel before factoring in other leisure/pleasure costs is far from a joke.

I think we run these cars knowing this but if its such a pain then you need to consider getting a cheaper car that can be used all round as a daily runner and also be used comfortably on motorways.

I bought my Supra, and within 6 months I bought a £700 turbo diesel runaround and I quickly learned that it was a LOT cheaper to have the two cars and use them appropriately than using my Supra as the sole method of travel!

Now I when I tell people how many cars I have I do get called a rich b@stard! They find it hard to believe that running two cars is actually cheaper than running one!

The Supra is my weekend toy and I drive it to unwind, have fun, go for a blast etc. If I drove it everyday I would get bored of it and appreciate it less.

Hard not to appreciate the Sup when I've been driving around in a french sh!t box all week ;)

If you are that worried about fuel consumption in your Supra, why not be first person to do a Supra Diesel conversion! :p

If I drove it everyday I would get bored of it and appreciate it less.

Hard not to appreciate the Sup when I've been driving around in a french sh!t box all week ;)

All very valid points, and exactly the reason i have my every day car.

I sometimes wonder why people buy stupidly expensive after market components, and in the same breath complain of expensive running costs etc.

Buy a cheap run-around = Appreciation for your Supe.

Already got an LPG runaround for commuting, but there is no way I want to do a 500 mile trip in that shed when I am in it most days of the week!

The whole point of the supra is to have some fun but sometimes a point arises where the benefits don't add up.