The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overdrive button

SUPRA FLY

Being a relatively new owner of a NA Supra and being new to automatic transmission:eek:, am still tryin to figure out how to best use the OVERDRIVE button to get the best performance.:confused: ...you know tryin to find her buttons and get her goin faster

All yo NA owners out there and other wise heads......can you tell me:

For good performance is it better to turn it on afetr you reach a certain Rev. or from the start?

For drivin (cruzn) around town is it better to turn it off? :conf:

Does it affect fuel consumption?

Oo er, I'm gonna try and answer a technical question...

Keep it on generally as it keeps revs lower. For more performance, switch it off. I think the light comes on to indicate that you should have it turned on (can't think why a light would come on the dash to indicate something is correct)

Someone who knows more than me will answer shortly.

As far as I know, all it does is prevent the auto box changing into 4th (overdrive). So if your doing some spirited driving between 70-120mph and don't want the box to keep changing between 3rd and overdrive as you wait for Beamers to get out of the BMW lane, turn it off. Otherwise leave it on. It's also useful for overtaking if you want the high revs/boost just before overtaking without the box changing up at the first sign of you hesitating.

Thanks guys for the reply but must be havin a :blonde: day as its Friday cus am not fully clear.:blink:

Am I right in thinkin 200SX is sayin keep it on generally but from what I understand of Mawby's comments this prevents the box changing to 4th gear....i.e. higher revs. But the rev drops when you turn overdrive on...........:baa: Please make it idiot proof.

Am with you on the overtakin and accelerating part cus the power increase is obvious when you turn it on i.e. the display on the dash is turned off.:eek:

I am an Engineer by trade although you wouldn't know it by this thread......

Overdrive is on by default. The little button is pressed in, the light on the dash is off, the auto box will use all four gears.

By pressing the button and turning the overdrive light on, you are actually turning overdrive off. You'll prevent the auto box using the 4th (overdrive) gear,

I put an explanation of what the overdrive does a while back in a thread. There is also a technical article either on here or supraforums about the overdrive. Basically its a fourth gear that you can switch off. The only acceleration advantage to hitting that button is if you are on the M'way and at 90 the gearbox wont drop down when you floor it so push the button before you want to go and it drops down, you can push the button again straight away and it will stay in 3rd til it hits the rev change limit on the gearbox.