The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying a mk4 need help!

adam1983

Hi i am new to this website and was wondering if i could get some advice on buying a supra. I have £12000 to spend and I am looking for a 6 speed manual TT or a single turbo conversion if its good. I have been looking on a few websites for a really nice one and went to view a few already. All of the ones i have seen are japanese imports which is not a problem. I have never bought a jap import before but i need to know for sure that there is nothing wrong with it before buying. Is there anything in particular that i need to keep my eye out for when buying a jap import? I wont be importing myself as they will be from dealerships or private in the uk. A friend of mine was saying that japanese cars dont have rust proofing on the undercarriage of their cars like we do in the uk and that this could be a problem area to look out for. Is this true? If so is it something that i can easily get sorted out?

Apart from the obvious of getting the dials changed to mph is there anything else that will need doing or changing?

I have left 3 links for supras that i was considering and just wanted to know what you guys think? are they worth it or you think i can get a better one for the price?

Thanks in advance for any advice and if you have any questions for me ask away.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-25-62-240-4294966983-4294967144/advert.action?R=200933339901707&distance=62&postcode=ng7+7ex&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=5000&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1994&vehicleRegLetter=

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-25-62-240-4294966983-4294967144/advert.action?R=200920334572796&distance=60&postcode=ng7+7ex&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=5000&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1993&vehicleRegLetter=L

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-25-62-240-4294966983-4294967144/advert.action?R=200927337222526&distance=95&postcode=ng7+7ex&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=5000&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2000&vehicleRegLetter=V

Hey, welcome to the site. Try JM Imports and Whifbitz both of which are traders on this site. Alternatively there are a few gems that members on here sell privately from time to time. Personally I would stay clear of the one in the last link you posted up. £12k should buy you an excellent example.

Good luck with your search.

Check the supra' for sale on here, a lot of them are very good and have been looked after well by club members.

From what i've read quite a few people here highly recommend JMImports (JurgenImports/JMimports on here I think?) and would be able to help you get a very nice example I'm sure.

Welcome aboard.

Twelve thousand should get you a very good motor.

As outlined above, Jurgen of JM Imports and Paul Whiffin of Whifbitz come highly recommended. If you want to tell someone what you are looking for and let them do the rest, either of those should be your first port of call.

thanks for the advice guys.

dont suppose anyone knows if the rust problem that i was talking about in my original post is true or not do they?

it could be a load of rubbish what my friend said but i have never bought from japan before so i have no idea.

cheers again

They don't normally have rustproofing because it isn't needed -the Japanese do not use grit or salt on their roads, therefore the rust level is at an absolute minimum, if any.

I'd start your search on here mate, the 2 guys mentioned above will be able to source you a car you'll be more than happy with, with provenance and the peace of mind of buying from an expert.

After that, the For Sale section here offers up some real gems from true enthusiasts who love and cherish their cars. Steer clear of all the 3 you've linked in your first post!

i got mine from jurgan at JM imports! hes very helpful and gives a great after sales service! im sure he can whip up sumin good for u fella! Paul at whif bitz is also very helpful he has a nice blue single for sale for £12995 (i think its still for sale)

But you will get more choice from jurgan, and he can do alot of lil custom extras for you to get your ideal supe bud...

thanks for all the help guys, spoke to jurgen earlier and i am looking at some that he recommended. will let you know how i get on when i finally get the car i want. been looking for quite some time now but never thought to look for a website like this. since joining everyone has been very helpful :)

Wifbitz has a couple of crackers up for sale at the moment. A black one and a very nice blue one. If i was in the market for a 6 speed single i would go for one of those.

You wont be dissapointed with jurgen. He always does a nice job of finding a good car :)

Im on my 2nd supra now and after chancing it (and getting lucky) with my first NA that i got through a private sale on yahoo. I got my 2nd one through the club and when i change this one for another this and jurgen/whifbits is the only place i'll look. Its simply not worth chancing some of the tat you see advertised from so called performance car shops on autotrader etc. Ive seen some terrible cars listed as "the best supra in the country".

the 3 you posted - first one is WAY over priced. the second one is a bit over priced. The 3rd one is a single turbo... but its a NA-T so your limited on any tuneing and bhp compared to a TT-T

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Avoid Jap Performance - I went there and got treated like shit despite a decent initial phone conversation.

The car was poor and I most certainly would not expect to see any car presented in such a condition, the owner/trader was very firm and arrogant and a few of their other cars I had a look at whilst there (jap imports) all seemed to be tatty.

Avoid Jap Performance and Keighly Trade Centre!!! Overpriced heaps of junk!

Another thumbs up for Jurgen/JM Imports and also consider the cars for sale by GarageWhifbitz, both in our traders section.

I used JM-Imports too bud, very helpful guy and no problems at all with the service despite me being a pain in the ass with lots and lots of questions/emails/phonecalls...

Wouldn't have any problem recommending him. Give him your budget then he'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Another happy customer of JM-Imporst here. I would go to him for any imported car from now on. The after sales service he gives you is second to none. He is a very genuine person who does not want to rip anyone off and has a great reputation on the forum.

With the rust proofing issue, this can be done by Jurgen or any decent bodyshop for not too much money :thumbs:

The other thing is Japanese imports don't come with a fog light, it's best to wire one up to one of the reverse lights in the rear clusters, better than having a big caravan light hanging off the back of your car :)

Welcome Adam..:)

You have a decent budget there mate and I would be very careful where you use it. None of the 3 links you put represent good value for money IMO.

You could get a facelift TT with that money easily. Hang around and do some searches. The two traders mentioned are held in high regard as they have a history of looking after their customers.

Patience is the key here and a little bit ok background knowledge about traders.....;)

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)