The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New DVLA Engine Conversion Rules

RobD

Anyone heard about the engine conversion laws thats out now?

Apparently if you carry out an engine conversion you'll need the following:

Reciept of purchase from a garage,on headed paper confirming the engine number , size(cc) the fuel type for the reconditioned or replacement.

If your existing engine has been converted i.e single turbo,written evidence on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work.

An inspection report from a body such as RAC or AA.

An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.

And a writtn confirmation from the manufacturer containing the engine number and size!

So basically this rules out own diy conversions, and if your not in the motor trade this will turn expensive if your planning on going NA-TT!

What is peoples thoughts on this? As most know i'm planning on going TT in the very near future now but obviously I work in a garage so this wont be a problem for me! But people planning to do it on there drive will be in trouble!

:(

Sorry guys but I've just read this and I don't see the new DVLA requirements as being an issue for people wanting to modify their Supras.

As long as you have a receipt for the engine then you will be OK, while the fuel system only needs to be declared for cars registered after the 1st Mar 2001 - that kind of discounts 95% of Supes.

I also can't see a problem with the adding of single turbos as the engine is not being replaced so there is no need for any official declaration of engine change.

Edited by SupraAyf
A few word changes (see edit history)

Its a bit long winded in my opinion, if they're wanting a garage to give a headed letter I know my place wouldn't be willing to unless they've carried out the work, I know something like that would cost quite a bit on labour, thats if they even contemplated doing this!

Its a bit long winded in my opinion, if they're wanting a garage to give a headed letter I know my place wouldn't be willing to unless they've carried out the work, I know something like that would cost quite a bit on labour, thats if they even contemplated doing this!

Do you have a link to all these new regulations?

Looking at those regs I can see nothing about conversions other than a stroker kit maybe or running on anything other than petrol for very late models! Most of those rules have always existed

'Changes you need to update.You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

* colour

* engine

* cylinder capacity

* fuel type (propulsion)

* replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

* seating capacity

* weight of a goods vehicle

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine

* written evidence from the manufacturer

* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Change to fuel type

DVLA will need written confirmation of changes to fuel type for vehicles registered after 1 March 2001 if:

* your existing engine is converted, the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work

* a new engine is fitted, the receipt will be required as confirmation'

When mine gets converted i'm pretty sure my works can help me out... hopefully lol

:blink:

Unless you know of any new legislation, which by the lack of a link asked for, you don't, all you need is a receipt for the engine purchase if changing engines.

I can't see Turners offering you a dodgy receipt!

Amazing thread this, nothings really changed for years, yet everyone's out in arms because they can't read properly :D