The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My written-off Supe is now on Ebay

KaiBosh

Hello gang,

I wrote off my Supe with damage to the suspension recently and I'm shocked to see it on Ebay right now for £3600.

I filled in the V5 and sent it to the insurer and received payment, but I got a letter yesterday from the DVLA saying someone is applying for ownership and if I still have the V5 I can be prosecuted.

There is no mention of the write-off in the Ebay listing. Is there underhandedness afoot? It's so sad to see my beloved car again, I had assumed it would be dismantled.

How do these things work?

KaiBosh

That is the most depressing advert I have ever seen.

I got a headache from all the exclamation marks tbh. He won't sell it for £3600 but if he reduces it it might go and honestly some poor sod will try to make it go round a corner or summink and it will collapse. I don't want to sabotage his auction or anything but my moral compass is spinning. Don't you have to declare if it's an insurance write-off?

I'd say someone has bought and repaired your car for a snippet.

Yeah probably, Pedro. I just hope it HAS been repaired. So what happens in these cases then? The insurer takes ownership, sells it to a salvage agency and they sell it on?

Why do other auctions say things like "This is a Cat B write-off but has been repaired"? I'd assumed it was a legal requirement.

If it shouldn't have been put back on the road it needs removing from ebay. contact them and let them know, by using the report item icon in the listing.

Unless they are in the process of getting the car re-certified and went ahead with the advert while waiting for the paperwork.

Am I just too trusting for my own good??

If it shouldn't have been put back on the road it needs removing from ebay. contact them and let them know, by using the report item icon in the listing.

Well that's the thing. I was told by more mechanically-minded and equipped people than I, that it wouldn't cost that much to fix if you did it yourself and put in used parts etc. Maybe - HOPEFULLY - that's what's happened here.

If its a CAT C or D then it can be repaired. It MUST be declared when being sold though (you should report the advert to EBAY or bid really high to sabotage it)

Dont worry about the request for the DVLA this happened to me once in the past, its not an issue :)

HTH

Jon

Its HPI clear. Just checked. ;)

What does that mean Jezz? They've had it repaired, certified and cleared the damage/claim record? Or it was never recorded?

And Jon: "Dont worry about the request for the DVLA this happened to me once in the past"

Thanks for this, I will stop fretting now. Just a bit of a shock to see it again I suppose - I should be glad it's not dead. It's like seeing a seriously hot ex-wife with a new bloke :(