The mkiv Supra Owners Club

storm blue paint - any tips for the painter (Dude) ?

carl0s

i heard through another thread that Storm Blue had a tint of green in it.. not sure if that's just the fence though.

Are there any tips I should give the painter-man that a non-Supra dude might not know WRT the makeup of the colour or anything?

thanks,

Carl

I served my time as a painter when i left school all the painter needs is the colour code from under your bonet,there will be variations but the colour book or cards he has will display them all,also if he using his own paint mixing scheme he will know that there is always many other colours used to make up 1 colour ie blue might have green black silver in it,just depends.if a painter is worth his salt he will get it right dont worry matey :)

And he wont try and go edge to edge !!!!!, most paint shops will just fob you off with a its an old car we cant get an exact match !!!, trouble is you can allmost end up with a respray , i dont care who makes the paint without a spectrum machine they will not get a match good enough to go edge to edge !!!

Dude:flame Dev

All metalics should be 'blown' into the surrounding panel , you fade the paint into the next undamaged panel , ie if you need to paint a front wing you would dust the paint into the door so it graduates to the rear edge but NOT up to the rear edge then laquer over the whole lot , this way any discrepancy is very very gradual !!!!

dude:flame Dev

so with mine he's gonna have to graduate the paint into the rear bumper and front bumper.. as it happens these are grazed anyways.. the lampost did a fair job on my bumper (and I did a fuckin great job on the lampost - turned it to a Vee!)

Originally posted by carl0s

so with mine he's gonna have to graduate the paint into the rear bumper and front bumper.. as it happens these are grazed anyways.. the lampost did a fair job on my bumper (and I did a fuckin great job on the lampost - turned it to a Vee!)

And tailgate /up rear pillar and over the bonnet !!!, all depends how good the match really is , but you dont know till you unmask it !!!!:)

Dude :flame Dev