The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight out, 1/4 mile

kubus1

Sounds good that thing with the pipe.

I might try this tomorrow.

I m in Poland and they have a qualifications to the Champinship of Poland tomorrow in 1/4mile.

Funny think is, that drag racing is a fully recognised motorsport here, not just a weekend hobby.

Cuba

P.S. Any more tips for tomorrows race??

Originally posted by Nic

On the same subject, I've seen a few Japanese Supras with a hole/pipe fabricated through the main beam section of the headlight, so there is a direct cold air feed to the intake, anyone tried this?

Or even better try this

Dude:flame Dev

santa pod 018.jpg

I believe that you can pass an MOT without lights (or indeed a windscreen) however I think I am correct in saying that if they are fitted then they must work.

The problem you have with the set up described is that it IS illegal to have a non symetrical light pattern (I think this is the case whether used as such or not).

This is why all the mini's got court orders for trying to replicate the italian job triangle lights as there must be an equal number of lights on each side of the car.

This is just going on what I have picked up over the years and I asked my old man (a copper) but he wasn't too sure, said ask an MOT station (he agreed with the non symetrical light pattern 100% though)

EDIT - just to add that for you "not to have headlights" all switches and wiring for them must be removed also otherwise you will fail the MOT

You can even fail the MOT for having different bulbs in if they emit a slightly different colour of light - a lass I worked with had an MX5 and to replace the bulp on it you had to replace the whole unit, glass and all - she sourced a cheaper alternative and fit that only to find she failed the MOT because one was slightly more yellow than the other!

They say this about matched pairs:

"A 'matched pair' is a pair of lamps which Both emit light of substantially the same colour and intensity, and are both the same size and shape, so that they are symmetrical to one another"

If you removed the high beam for the intake mod I suspect you might still have issues:

"Check that the vehicle is fitted with obligatory headlamps, as follows:

a. a matched pair of main- beam headlamps, and

b. a matched pair of dipped-beam headlamps Note: Main-beam and dipped-beam functions may be provided by a single pair of headlamps"

So I think it's an all or nothing situation on this one or you'd need to switch the dipped beam to dual purpose bulbs to do main too?

On the theme of no lights at all they state:

"If no front or rear position lamps are fitted to a vehicle, there is no legal requirement to fit any other lamp"

(This inspection applies to: all vehicles except those used only during the hours of daylight, and which are not fitted with any front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked)

If you only had one lamp you wouldn't pass an MOT unless your car was pre '72 or had done a bit of lightening :)

"Vehicles first used: Before 1 January 1972, or On or after 1 January 1972 with an unladen weight of 400kg or less, and an overall width of 1300mm or less require only one headlamp"

Have a browse over http://www.ukmot.com and make your own mind up though.

Excellent post and site michael, I think that confirms what I was saying (roughly), I know emin was very interested in the rear L.E.D light situation so it may be worth drawing his attention to that site.

Ta mate.

P.S - how's the house hunting going, you all sorted now?

Originally posted by stealthhosts

I believe that you can pass an MOT without lights (or indeed a windscreen) however I think I am correct in saying that if they are fitted then they must work.

The problem you have with the set up described is that it IS illegal to have a non symetrical light pattern (I think this is the case whether used as such or not).

This is why all the mini's got court orders for trying to replicate the italian job triangle lights as there must be an equal number of lights on each side of the car.

This is just going on what I have picked up over the years and I asked my old man (a copper) but he wasn't too sure, said ask an MOT station (he agreed with the non symetrical light pattern 100% though)

EDIT - just to add that for you "not to have headlights" all switches and wiring for them must be removed also otherwise you will fail the MOT

The wording is 'Permanently Disconnected' normally this means plug off and taped up !!!

Dude:flame Dev