The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would this kill my car

jackso11

I know this has been done to death, but with no real answer.

Engine cleaning.

Plastic bags on the fuse box, distrubuter cap, don't spray the spark plug cover, spray from about a meter away with a jet washer and it should be ok...right?

Been looking on youtube and found a lot of videos like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSJMganckE&NR=1

has anyone got any tips as I am going to get cleaning tomorrow :D

By the time you've wrapped everything up in cling film and made sure nothing is going to die due to being sprayed with water you'll be halfway there, it doesn't take long to get the grime off, the time consuming stuff is making the metal shine and no pressure washer will be able to do that unless you load it up with sandblasting stuff.

Give the whole bay a general degrease and then concentrate on one area at a time to make it really clean. Protect the plastics with a suitable product (I like 303 Aerospace Protectant but most Halfords ones will do the trick) and then move on to the next bit.

Just had good news that a mate is going to let me use his lift at the weekend so I will be able to get under the car too.

I am going to weather seal it. What is the best stuff to use?

Do you need to brush off surface rust if there is any underthere, or can you get stuff that you just paint on and it kills the rust? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I am sure I read a post a while ago about something like that.

Ive jet washed hundreds of Toyota engines and never had any problems, did a Supra engine today in fact. All the connectors are sealed, it will be fine, its not a Renault!

Oh yeah? and how many NA's have you done without getting water down the plug gulley? Do a search and you will see a fair few (including myself have fallen foul of this)

buy a cheap electric toothbrush and lots of gunk. hav'nt considered pressure washing the engine in my supra, a couple years back i dropped a bottle of coolant in the engine bay of my old n/a.. took hours to soak it all up from the spark plug gulleys. maybe a better option would be to steam clean it? i use a little karcher steam cleaner on espresso machines everyday at work, does the job really well

Oh yeah? and how many NA's have you done without getting water down the plug gulley? Do a search and you will see a fair few (including myself have fallen foul of this)

It was an N/A i did the other day (MA-70 but near enough!). Do it when hot or running and just go easy on those areas. Its only water, it will dry.

its one of them mate its quicker to steam your bay but IF you do wash something that your engine does not like you had wished you had spent a few weekends with a paint brush and some rags ...maybe its a marmite thing :D