The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel repair in Thames Valley area?

Homer

Does anyone know of a place in the Thames valley area that can do a basic repair to a dented stock 17in alloy?

It only needs the rim knocking back a few mm, not looking for a refurb or anything.

Yell turned up "MyAlloys" in Basingstoke - has anyone used them or know about them?

I know the owners of Myalloys personally (Ron and Marian) good people. Let me know when you go and I can possibly get you discount :)

I do however know they do powder coating not sure whether they can repair a dented alloy but I'll swing past tomorrow and ask them.

Nice one, thanks Gav :thumbs: Please let me know what they say.

The Yell.com ad said they did wheel repair, but as with most of these places 'repair' is a bit of a loose term!

Shadow in Reading are pretty much the best in the country mate. You should see what they did with my mates 19" split rims after he bent them at the 'Ring. He was quoted £2k per wheel to get them replaced but Shadow sorted him right out.

They also do work for many other companies and are well respected around here.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Shadow-Wheels-&-Tyres/1611567380000115023/map/companyinfo.html

Shadow in Reading are pretty much the best in the country mate. You should see what they did with my mates 19" split rims after he bent them at the 'Ring. He was quoted £2k per wheel to get them replaced but Shadow sorted him right out.

They also do work for many other companies and are well respected around here.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Shadow-Wheels-&-Tyres/1611567380000115023/map/companyinfo.html

Nice one Gaz :thumbs: They were less than a mile from my house too :D

Dropped the wheel off with them this afternoon, only £40 to fix and should get it back mid next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the wheel back today from Shadow, I am not impressed at all!!

Though they did a very basic repair on the ding, it was nothing more than I could have done at home with a blow torch and some liquid metal. They pushed the dented rim back very slightly, but stopped short of setting it back to the original line, the rim is still pushed in around 1mm and has loads of marks left on it where they have filled in the dent rather than knock it back into place.

They also made an utter mess of the paint, it's bubbled, has loads of crack lines and is has run in some areas. Looks like it's just had a quick layer with a rattle can.

Could have done a far better job myself and saved the money on the repair. I will not be using them again!

attachment.php?attachmentid=98390&stc=1&d=1252790043

attachment.php?attachmentid=98391&stc=1&d=1252790043

wheel repairImage016.jpg

wheel repairImage016 (1).jpg

Take it back and tell em to do it again.

Yeah, I know that would be the right thing to do, but if that's the level of their workmanship would you trust them? I'd rather tidy it up myself than trust those monkeys to try it again.

Edit - after looking at the wheel again, it isn't even round anymore, it can be seen in the top picture :( Fecking hell. Best try and find another place..

I would have never left the place with it, I would have still had my £40 in my pocket also, Long gone are the days where I pay for a crap job, too many places have given me the lesson in the past, hope you get it sorted, I would have gone to Speedwells he did a great job for my in-laws on their BMW wheels

Was in a big rush, just picked it up, gave them the cash and headed back to a meeting I was late for already. No time to check it.

Speedwells will be my next call to see what can be recommended, but as it's just a stock wheel it's not going to be worth shipping it.

Anyone got a stock 17in rear going spare? :D