The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting Battery Terminal Connections

jevansio

Can anyone give me any advice for fitting the ring termials to the end of the thick battery wire.

I've heard you can either crimp or solder, I'm trying soldering, but everytime I apply heat using a heat gun the insulation on the solder starts to melt & burn.

Any how to's would be appreciated :)

i use a crimp machine to do mine, if soldering you will need a heavy duty soldering gun.,a heat gun will not get the solder hot enough to melt into the wire strands. you can use a blow torch but it will melt away the outer plastic casing of the cable.

I did this a while ago for my Landy.

My terminals required the cable to be pushed in to the terminal then two screws squeeze it to hold it in place, I needed to tin the cable so that it wouldn't spread, rather than join the two with solder. I'm guessing yours is the same?

I used a blowtorch and slowly heated the cable whilst applying lots of flux, then when hot enough, added plumbers solder. Worked a treat and didnt melt the cable insulation.

Yeah I'm just melting the outer insulation, I haven't tried applying lots of flux first, will give that a go.

I've also just picked up 2 connectors where you put the cable in & tighten with a grub screw, I'll tin the cable first then push it in & tighten the screw onto the tinned cable.

Cheers guys :)