The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats the stupidest diy job you've done on your supra/car???

Clinton

Right,

The other day i thought i would do a bit of diy and take my strut brace off so that i could get it re-polished, so i took off the bolts and off it came...job done!! The thing is i didnt realise i needed to put the bolts back on regardless of whether the strut brace was going back on or not :twak:

It was only when i took it to Whifbitz a few days later that they pointed out to me that it needed bolts and that im bloody lucky i havnt hit a deep pot hole or something otherwise it could have been bye bye supra...or even worse :(

So i just wanted to ask have any of you done a stupid diy job to your car that can top this??

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to remove bird poo with a saucepan scourer. :(

:rlol::rlol:

I have to admit actually i have also tried removing some tar marks on one of my old cars with the rough side of a sponge...the problem is that it doesnt show the scratches when its wet...only when it dries :(

:rlol::rlol:

I have to admit actually i have also tried removing some tar marks on one of my old cars with the rough side of a sponge...the problem is that it doesnt show the scratches when its wet...only when it dries :(

Been there, done that, only its was on me wheels [sAD][/sAD], i needed a good cry when it was done!!!

A friend of mine decided to use an ice scraper to get a bit of bird crap off my Golf's windscreen when it was heavily lacking in rain or snow or such. Scratchtastic!

Not really done anything bad myself to either the Golf (first and previous car) or my Supra as yet.

On my mk1 golf gti... changing the outer CV joint, tapped it off with a mallet only to remove the entire drive shaft, inner cv joint and drive flange from the gearbox/diff, compete with retaining clip and spring - then took me 3 hrs to get the drive flange back into the box - once i finally had sepreted it from in inner Cv

Took the wheels off my mini (in 1989 when I was 17!!) to clean them, did front left, then rear left, moved over to the other side, jack lifted both wheels off the road together so they both came off cleaned BUT i only put the nuts back on one.........

200 yards down the road the next day, a severe noise, then wobble, then the wheel comes off, now it still amazes me how far it continued to roll and bounce scattering pedestrians, also the brake disc managed to dig a very nice groove in the road, its still there as a reminder to my stupidity today !!!!

I replaced the auto gear select handle for a new one and ended up breaking the connection in the overdrive switch. Tried to solder it back together with a portable gas soldering iron and dropped some hot solder on the drivers seat through the only gap between my jeans. Then tried to remove said solder from the seat using the soldering iron after unsuccessfully picking at it with a screwdriver. Ended up with what looks like 3 fag burns on the seat. REALLY stupid!! Been pondering getting them re-upholstered ever since. :(

I fitted some sounds into the back of my mk2 xr2. I had a cheapo (but massive) fury amp which was not secured properly. Some enthusiastic driving round lakeside saw the positive terminal of the amp rest up against exposed metal in the cars frame. As if this wasn't bad enough already, I didn't bother fitting an inline fuse, so the ensueing fire ruined my boot carpet and parcel shelf. The wire running from front to back also set fire to the carpet inside the car all along one side :D

I went to replace my windscreen washer pump with a new one... put motor on the drive while I get the car out, ran over pump.

That reminds me, I once squashed a tub of vaseline against an air filter housing by closing the bonnet on it. Not a big deal, but the vaseline was a bit messy.

Spent 2 hours forcing a 4 point roll cage into the as forementioned Mini 1275, after a lot of swearing and cut knuckles got it in................. it was the wrong way round [OOPS][/OOPS]

I also fitted my dads old stereo speakers (wooden 1980 jobbies the size of a suitcase!) with fluffy speaker covers in the back seats, with speaker cable and no AMP direct to the head unit, some reason it sounded pants

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

Any job that disables the car on a Sunday afternoon, when you've got to get to work on Monday - my best was an old filter change: the old oil came out easily enough, but the filter was stuck like a bastard. I borrowed the wifes car and bought FOUR different filter wrenches from halfords, which made things steadily worse, culminating in a chain wrench which didn't budge the filter, but did rip the filter canister all the way around. So now the filter is pissing oil everywhere too and still won't shift.

In the end I had to call my friendly mechanic on Monday morning, borrow his toyota specific cup-type wrench and used my full weight on a breaker bar. On an oil filter :no:

I got home from work one summers day at 6pm to find my new Blitz intercooler had been delivered. I figured I had about 3 hours of decent light left. How hard could it be right? I needed the car to get to work the next day but I was certain I'd have it done by sunset (even with the Japanese instructions).

Needless to say, after hours of working with a torch in the street, I finally had it done........ at 3am.......!!! Not the brightest move of my life.

I fitted some sounds into the back of my mk2 xr2. I had a cheapo (but massive) fury amp which was not secured properly. Some enthusiastic driving round lakeside saw the positive terminal of the amp rest up against exposed metal in the cars frame. As if this wasn't bad enough already, I didn't bother fitting an inline fuse, so the ensueing fire ruined my boot carpet and parcel shelf. The wire running from front to back also set fire to the carpet inside the car all along one side :D

I did the same in my old Mk1 golf. Massive power cable from front to back, no fuse, and then proceeded to accidentally drill through it. The cable burnt all the way from the front to the back, luckily not burning the car to the ground, and the drill bit melted. It completely disappeared in a little dribble of metal.

Vinyl painting the headlining on my old 323i, its was white so thought black would be good, did the roof and down the pillers and was quite chuffed how well it looked.

Shame i forgot to do the sunroof part which i had full open as the fumes were rather strong inside the car.

After my wife crashed her Citroen Xsara, she bought a new one ... newer model. When getting the new car, the guy at the garage asked me if I would like a set of winter rims with tires for a very fair price.

I replied that I didn't need them as I had those from the old Xsara.

When winter arrived, I removed the first summer tire at home and had to realize that Citroen had not only increased the rim size from 14 to 15 inch, but also the diameter of the discs. I couldn't get the 14 inchers over the discs :(

So I had to throw away the old winter rims with the tires and had to buy a new set (3 times the price the guy proposed when we bought the new car).