The mkiv Supra Owners Club

khm to read in miles?

Guest puregttipower

Guest puregttipower

Im going to buy a supra its only done 39000 miles, the owner had the car imported and has jap docs with the mileage in khm 2 years ago. He said he has put a converter onto the clocks which make the mileage turnover in miles now but the speed is still in khm? is this how it works? He has all mot's and jap docs, is there any other way to verify mileage?

cheers guys

The one below is also a top speed delimeter which removes the 112mph limit which is on the imported Supra.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Digital_Speedo_Converter-DSC.asp

is there any other way to verify mileage?

I can only think of the previous mot's as the mileage should be recorded.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

It's perfectly possible. The speedo and the odometer are different parts of the electrical speed sensor system. To make a JSpec speedo show MPH, the car will either need a DSC (the favoured way) that's been wired into the speedo cluster or simply a new speedo fascia (the cheap way, which won't allow for "spirited" speeds to be indicated).

To make a JSpec odometer count up in miles, the car will need a DSC that's been wired into the odometer.

A DSC can be wired into just the speedo (normal practice), just the odometer (bizarre for UK driving, but perfectly possible), or both (less common: the odomoeter reading will need fiddling with if you don't want it to show part kilometres, part miles).

Guest puregttipower
It's perfectly possible. The speedo and the odometer are different parts of the electrical speed sensor system. To make a JSpec speedo show MPH, the car will either need a DSC (the favoured way) that's been wired into the speedo cluster or simply a new speedo fascia (the cheap way, which won't allow for "spirited" speeds to be indicated).

To make a JSpec odometer count up in miles, the car will need a DSC that's been wired into the odometer.

A DSC can be wired into just the speedo (normal practice), just the odometer (bizarre for UK driving, but perfectly possible), or both (less common: the odomoeter reading will need fiddling with if you don't want it to show part kilometres, part miles).

cheers for the advice just wanted to make sure becuase the car is low mileage, he bought the car from japan it had khm he then added the device so it reads in miles, since then he has all the mot's and japanese paperwork with the khm stated so it should be okay

about a year back i put an mk3 mr2 through an sva. (never again!) if i remember right the odometer is not a required change but the speedo must show mph and be within a certain range of accuracy. so i would be suspicious of a car showing only kmph and clocking in miles. big question is; why would you do this? the speed limiter, as i understand it, is tied to the speedo not the odometer.

Wheres the car ? have you any pics or more info on it, i struggle to believe some of these low mileage mkivs and its not a help that the car wears mileage very well.

Im in the midlands if you want a second pair of eyes to go over it but im not available till possibly Sunday

i have a k reg NA with 27000 miles (Bimta certified) for sale at present. so they do exist.

I dont doubt they do but there will be x amount that have done double or more than whats on the odo.

If you have service history or certification thats worth the paper its written on then great, if not then how do you know.

the speed limiter, as i understand it, is tied to the speedo not the odometer.

Here's how the Thor DSC works: the speed converter is neither atached to the speedo or odo, but sits "up-stream" of both. The converter has 2 outputs (actually has more, but that's irrelevent here): one which is converted, one which isn't that acts as a pass-through. It's up to whoever fits it as to whether they pass the speedo the converted signal or not. I can't think of a good reason why not, but doing it is as simple as splicing an alternative DSC output to the the speedo input.

Other DSCs may be less flexible and need to be plumbed into the speedo directly. :)

Guest puregttipower

thanks for the replys guys he is from scotland and is bringing the car too me as im going to px with him plus his giving me money on top, what has made me suspicious he said he is going to clock back my car when he gets it :rolleyes: i asked him yours must be clock back too he goes no it isnt lol :blink:

thanks for the replys guys he is from scotland and is bringing the car too me as im going to px with him plus his giving me money on top, what has made me suspicious he said he is going to clock back my car when he gets it :rolleyes: i asked him yours must be clock back too he goes no it isnt lol :blink:

Cant believe someone would openly say that, i'd be finding another car personally and tell him not to bother.

Is this a trader or private guy ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest puregttipower
Cant believe someone would openly say that, i'd be finding another car personally and tell him not to bother.

Is this a trader or private guy ?

His had the supra for two years, private?

His had the supra for two years, private?

Okay im even more intrigued as to why he'd drive from Scotland to trade cars with you and cash your way.

What are you trading ?

Whats the details on the supra that he's selling you m8, i think this stinks and you should walk if not runaway from the deal, whatever that might be.