The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra im thinking about buying

danny1987

I’m thinking about buying this supra aerotop from Platinum autos and I was wondering if anyone was close if they could have a look over it for me? I’ll be very grateful because I live in Norfolk and it’s a long way to go if it’s knackered.

I just read this thread about another car that was bought from here and now I don’t know what to do. Has anyone had any dealings with this company and was this supra a one off or are they all like it?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=181661&highlight=platinum+autos

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1215347.htm

Cheers

Dan

I've been looking for cars for about 1.5years now and Platinum Auto's regularly came up and their cars seem overpriced. As of recent months they've seemed to have a strange influx of Supra's and other sports car's.

One car that rings a bell is/was an M3 Evo. It has a non M series engine, in fact the entire engine bay had no resemblence to any M model what so ever.

By all means always take a look but I'd most certainly remain in control and beware of any seller bull$h!t.

I wouldn't buy a car from there. I suspect the dealer is linked to other dealers from the surrounding area, with similar photos and advert styles (if you look on PH there are at least two others based in the locale). I went to see a car up for sale by one of the other dealers and was left disappointed. The car was OK, but tatty and overpriced (it looked loverly in the advert). The other stock I saw looked very neglected.

I suggest you bide your time and search for a car from within the club. :)

Usually just easier to buy a new arm as a whole so quite pricey in terms of part price but it makes it a bolt off/on job.

To be honest if you have cash or the monies ready in your bank, I'd definately buy private rather than letting a trader rip you off. There are many poor supra's for sale on forecourts so don't get burnt.

If you need to buy from a dealer, JM Imports is the only one I'd recommend.

Also as mentioned, consider cars within the classifieds, after 1 year of searching, I ended up sourcing my car from the classifieds in this forum.

Ball joints are not cheap mate as the whole lower arm has to be replaced. And if one side has gone, the other will probably be not too far behind.

However, saying that, if the rest of the car is clean, it'd not put me off the purchase. People have to remember how old these cars are getting, so worn suspension components should not be considered unusual. I'd use it as a haggling tool to get the price down. ;)

Taken your experiences with the company into consideration and am defo not going for it now. Looked into it more myself and alot doesn't add up; i asked for a copy of the MOT and got given the blurriest photocopy you have ever seen, lol. Also on closer inspection car appears to have 2 big scuff marks on front bumper (he assured me it hadn't a scratch), he deals from home there is no dealership and he didn't willingly disclose any problems with the nearside suspension arm. Is not worth travelling 3hours to go look at. Guy is not genuine. Thanks for your help!

Taken your experiences with the company into consideration and am defo not going for it now. Looked into it more myself and alot doesn't add up; i asked for a copy of the MOT and got given the blurriest photocopy you have ever seen, lol. Also on closer inspection car appears to have 2 big scuff marks on front bumper (he assured me it hadn't a scratch), he deals from home there is no dealership and he didn't willingly disclose any problems with the nearside suspension arm. Is not worth travelling 3hours to go look at. Guy is not genuine. Thanks for your help!

good call