The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J spec an SZ

SUPRACHRIS

I'm no expert but:

N/A = naturally aspirated (no turbos) and is just a technical term. The SZ part comes from toyota to differenciate from the RZ and GZ models which both have turbos. I think some SZ's are not described as such when they are registered in the UK. they are simply registered as 3.0l supras.

Hope this helps.

There was an instance with Elephant recently where they don't quote on SZ's but someone had got an SZ insured because they described it as a Supra 3.0ltr

If it didn't say SZ on my policy I'd get very twitchy indeed. You know how insurance companies can get.:(

Originally posted by SUPRACHRIS

Look on your log book if it says the model on it, if not :) , on my insurance it just says 1994 supra 3ltr, which is really what it is (no turbos etc) so it is right in a way, must admit i am paying less now than what i was for my FTO GR :cool:

Me reckons you've just insured a UK spec. My log book says it was imported, I'm not taking any chances.

All this talk of models and insurance is starting to make me twitchy about mine now. When I renew I am going to have to have a strong word with the insurers to ensure they are covering the wrong model. I may even go down the assured valuation route that way they have a picture of the car and can't quibble if I claim.

Na the UK is a dedicated model ie TT, where as the imports are different as you have three models plus manual TT aero etc, im sure its right, they told me what car it was when i did a quote online (tesco) but with this i dont even need a tracker where the SZ i did :blink:

Na the UK is a dedicated model ie TT, where as the imports are different as you have three models plus manual TT aero etc, im sure its right, they told me what car it was when i did a quote online (tesco) but with this i dont even need a tracker where the SZ i did :blink:

I'm with Tesco as an SZ, no tracker needed - its a farce!:blink:

I think it depends on the age as well cause i got a quote on a 1995 but i bought a late 1994, and they said just a thatcham alarm was good enough :) but on the 95 i am sure they were on about a tracker. I had to get one fitted to the FTO which is a few insurance groups less but thats 1995. Probably i am talking :moo: but might make some sense, nothing else does :blink:

I think i still have the supra :baa:

I think it depends on the age as well cause i got a quote on a 1995 but i bought a late 1994, and they said just a thatcham alarm was good enough :) but on the 95 i am sure they were on about a tracker. I had to get one fitted to the FTO which is a few insurance groups less but thats 1995. Probably i am talking :moo: but might make some sense, nothing else does :blink:

I think i still have the supra :baa:

I'm a 98 - hows that for blowing the theory!!! :D

It certainly is very weird, When I was getting quotes for my car (94 SZ) I was getting quoted £2000 from tesco. When I bought the car and gave them the registration it went down by £800!!!!! this is because it is appearing on their records as a 3.0L Coupe. No mention of an SZ at all. They were as shocked as me and told me I had to check the registration docs when I got them.

The docs say it is an imported 2997cc Toyota Coupe. Not even a mention of Supra, never mind SZ!! although it did come up as a supra on tesco's records. This is VERY weird and I am a little worried about the validity of my insurance. But surely they cant get out of a claim if this is what it says on the reg documents. If I wasn't into Supras so much, I wouldn't know any different (SZ etc) would I????

Just checked my V5 and it doesn't mention anything about being an SZ, so nearly the same as yours Red.

The insurance thing always worries me so I go to great pains to make sure that my car is insured as accurately as possible, even if it means paying more. I'd rather have the peace of mind than worrying about it.

If I were you Red ( and if you're that concerned) I'd contact them again and get it in writing that they are covering an SZ supra, just so if the worst happens ( god forbid) you can wave in front of their noses.

Originally posted by Faye

Just checked my V5 and it doesn't mention anything about being an SZ, so nearly the same as yours Red.

The insurance thing always worries me so I go to great pains to make sure that my car is insured as accurately as possible, even if it means paying more. I'd rather have the peace of mind than worrying about it.

If I were you Red ( and if you're that concerned) I'd contact them again and get it in writing that they are covering an SZ supra, just so if the worst happens ( god forbid) you can wave in front of their noses.

Insurance companies are crap.

when I originally phone them up, gave the reg to them they said yes thats a suprs FI?? what ever that is. which was about £200 cheaper. So I made sure they knew it was a turbo. price went up.

Now it's renewal time, and got a letter through saying I need to provide them with evidence of my alarm immobliser, or I will not be covered for theft. I had this 3 times already with the ohter renewals.... each time I have faxed the copy of the install document, then phoned them and asked if it is ok every time, it's been ok. GGGGrrrrrrrrrr insurnace does my head in. As DB says insurance doesn't make sense.

They don't seem to check models very carefully when imports are first registered in the UK, so your V5 doesn't necessary bear much relation to the actual model. I'm sure there are RZs that are called RZ-S on the V5 and vice versa because it doesn't have a nice easy set of letters on the back for them to check.

In fact, when mine was first registered the chassis number was one out. I had to get it changed - all you do is send the V5 back with the alterations and they change it.