The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spare wheels - who manages without one?

splurge

Hi,

My subwoofer seems to be too close to the fabric cover thing that stops people seeing what's in the boot. This causes the cover to vibrate, which unfortunately makes it sound like the sub is completely knackered.

The obvious solution is to remove the fabric cover - unfortunately this makes the sub look pretty tempting to a passing thief.

I was thinking of taking out the spare wheel and putting the sub in the convenient gap that would then appear. So, I was wondering, those people who have removed their spare wheels... how legal is it, and what do you do instead of a wheel? Have you had any notable problems or successes because of it?

Cheers guys!

I manage without but then again that said I have escaped having a puncture.. I carry around the crazy glue style puncture repaire that wills the wheel with gunk but should get you to a gargage (assuming its not ablow out). Also advisable to have RAC cover just in case.

As far as I am aware you dont have to have a spare but if you do have one in the car the MOT will require it to be in a legal condition. no spare, no problem.

I think... (waits to be corrected)

Yep the spare only comes into the equation at MOT time if it's actually present with the car. Thats the only legality as several new cars don't have a spare at all.

Just inform your breakdown company though if this is what you intend, and your vehicle is intended to have a spare, as they have the right to refuse recovery when the vehicle isn't in a servicable condition (small print)

I've removed the spare wheel and replaced it with a big can of Tyre Weld.

I'm not sure on the usefulness of a spare wheel anyway with my uprated diff I think it might do some damage unless the wheels are both the same size and one was turning more than the other.

RAC cover for emergencies.

Cheers,

Sherriff.

Originally posted by NWS25

Trick is to stand on the wheel brace OR take ot too a garage that torques them up and not to the air guns max OR both :D

One of the best bits of kit out there is an extendable tyre wrench. They are available at halfrauds and other motor factors for about a tenner because even nuts that have been correctly torqued do themselves up tighter over time.

My Mrs can change her own wheels-in fact she changed the brake sets to Uk's when we did that upgrade. She did have a little trouble lining the alloy up but then in a puncture situation you wouldn't have a full size alloy so no worries there then. Lifting the alloy back into the boot may be a show stopper though.

As far as Faye is concerned all she has to do is appear helpless and a hundred BBS members will appear and change the wheel for her!!

Originally posted by dangerous brain

As far as Faye is concerned all she has to do is appear helpless and a hundred BBS members will appear and change the wheel for her!!

and it wouldn't be an act, I have a complete lack of strength!!

I didnt want to name names Tim Lol.

Another thing for you tyre-welders to consider is that I am sure that tyre weld shags the tyres if used on them.

I heard, although couldn't say if it's fact, that once the tyre weld stuff is in there, they cannot repair the puncture, but more than likely the tyre monkies can't be arsed to clean it out :D

Wheel nuts do tighten after time, especially these days when alot of garages only do visual inspections on the brakes without removing the wheel.

The main problem with that is the wheel sticking to the hub,and that can be a right biatch.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

Well, I decided to take the plunge and do away with the spare tyre for the sake of audio quality.

So, I took all the carpet out of the boot, and was expecting to find a shaped floor with a dip in it for the tyre, but instead I found a nearly-flat floor with the bits either side of the tyre bolstered up by huge pieces of styrofoam stuff. The one on the nearside, particularly, seemed to serve no useful function at all, so I removed that and plonked the sub in there instead, meaning that I can keep my spare after all.

Unfortunately in moving the sub I, err, managed to bust it. Seems to be wired up properly, fuse is OK, but just no dice. Ah well, I knew I shouldn't have played around with it...

I might get a can of that tyre fixing stuff anyway - I hate the hassle of changing the wheels.

My Mrs can change her own wheels-in fact she changed the brake sets to Uk's when we did that upgrade. She did have a little trouble lining the alloy up but then in a puncture situation you wouldn't have a full size alloy so no worries there then. Lifting the alloy back into the boot may be a show stopper though.

You would think that to be the case, but infact the spare is heavier than the stockers!