The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Correct way of fitting Supra OEM 17s?

1JZGTE

This may sound daft and if it is then great, but...take a set of Supra OEM 17s and you will see that one of the fronts and one of the rears has funky looking fins in the centre, near the wheel bolts.

Is this a guide for fitting them onto a specific side eg. wheel with finned centre goes onto the drivers side of the car?

Below are pics of 2 front wheels from a 17" set...

Am I thinking nonsense?

:)

http://fileserver7.jpghosting.com/images/CIMG4886_fbcaafe2e832ad4f41f984f355cd987f.JPG

http://fileserver7.jpghosting.com/images/CIMG4887_e826800b2a246277219d67bf861630ec.JPG

With 'fins' means they're UK spec, and without is jspec. I guess they got mixed with another set somewhere along the line.

Are you 100% sure on that, all my stock 17" have the fins, even the ones that came on my car when imported :search:

EDIT: just to add, this is the first time I have seen a wheel without them.

Thanks for the responses guys. Cosmetically, I guess it doesn't look too great to have 2 odd wheels, but if its just cosmetic, I can live with that.

What I'd like to know, is whether this may cause any issues on the assumption the two wheels may be different in weight?

???

I believe the very earliest J-Spec cars with the 17" wheels option had wheels with no fins. I think all export cars and imports from late 93 onwards had the fins in the wheels. Revision of the wheel by toyota, no idea why. Perhaps they were worried and decided to strengthen them? Typical Toyota over-engineering.

I believe the very earliest J-Spec cars with the 17" wheels option had wheels with no fins. I think all export cars and imports from late 93 onwards had the fins in the wheels. Revision of the wheel by toyota, no idea why. Perhaps they were worried and decided to strengthen them? Typical Toyota over-engineering.

looking at the 2 wheels it looks like they have added stiffners (fins) to strenghen the wheel