The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT or NA Aerotop?

Elliot

Hi all. I'm in a bit of a dilemma - I've got the need, the need for speed!

I have a very nice 95 NA aerotop I bought at the end of last summer, but I haven't really had the roof off much because of the lame weather.

It's black, lowered, 18" blitz alloys, full blitz bodykit, with standard spoiler, full cream leather interior, nice stereo system, clifford 600 & basicly in excellent condition.

Now - do I start to think about selling it as the nice weather kicks in & buy a TT? or do I keep it? It's a lush car & I'm worried I'll buy a 'dog' TT with the turbos etc all blown / wrecked!

I've got my bike test in a month, so was thinking I wont need a TT as the bike will do fine for speed, and the NA for posing!

Then again I'm a student, but always manage to do well with money (all legal!) & have one more year at uni. Then again, I'm about to start a 5 month summer holiday, so cash shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Decisions, decisions! - I think we should have a Supra helpline / agony aunt / counsellor.

Any advice anyone? Should I be 'scared' to check out these disgustingly cheap TTs on the autotrader etc?!

I sometimes think should I sell my NA and get a TT? But its pros and cons really. If you have a nice NA that you know is reliable then its harder still, especially if its an Aerotop.

The performance might not be as good on a NA but the number of blown turbos and turbos problems does help put me off a bit. Saying that I've never been in a TT so don't know how much faster it really is.:D

Plus trying to explain to the girlfriend I've spent a couple of thousand extra for the same car that goes a bit faster might not make me very popular :rolleyes:

Without doubt the TT is a fair bit faster, but having the opportunity to use that speed and the fact I'd lose so much money on the sale of my car means that the TT isn't an option.

The NA fits my requirements nicely, remember its not exactly a slow car.

Besides I'd do really well to find a TT in the same condition as my NA and I'd want a 97/98 reg just so I can keep my no. plate.

Originally posted by uncle kev

what bhp does a n/a produce ???

im unsure of what to get too, i really want an aero but also want the power of a TT.

kev

Around 220bhp and 220Tq, not slow! i'd say it would probably keep up with the RS focus, it has a similar power output but the n/a is around 100kg heavier.

Elliot,

keep the n/a if your getting a bike!:)

Leet - I know what you mean about paying cheap, getting cheap - that's why I was worried about getting one of these dirt cheap TTs - I wonder if there is anyone who's bought a cheap TT & had zero problems?

Roy - You've got it spot on, but TT aerotops go for big big money. Saying that there's a cheap one come up at the moment - but there's that 'cheap' word again!

Glenn - The only pics I have were from someones website who took them at a Southampton meet. One of them is my avatar (minus the background). I don't want to rush the sale though as that's what I did with my last one & got a low price for it so I could buy my current one! (Quite stressfull, but worth it in hindsight!)

Faye - You're right. I suppose it's not really worth the extra speed if you've got a nice car anyway. I've only just realised your avatar is on about an aerotop, I just thought you were a naturist or naturalist or whatever they're called!

toyotasuprauk - I'm like you, I haven't even been in a TT, so aren't too sure of the difference, but I bet once I've driven one I'll want it! I know what you mean about the turbos and that, it seems to be getting more frequent on here. Considering I have NO technical knowledge It'd probably cost me a fortunegetting it fixed.

Darren - I'm looking into it mate! It just looks to good to be true....It'll probably sell tonight as well.:(

TDRAPER - I'm only getting a Honda CB500 next week, but should be a good starter bike, as I've got my test in a month. I might get a faster one near the end of the summer (depending if I get a TT or not!)

Well I hope I've not forgotten anyone, this is about the longest thing I've written ever! I'm still undecided though.

My head's telling me to keep the NA ,pose in it & be happy, but my hearts telling me to buy a cheap TT & drive 'faster'!

I forgot that option

That's a darn good idea, but I'd have to see it reliably done first, but isn't someone on here starting that?

I remember 'Jagman'(?) exploring the possibility a few months back, and I'm pretty sure someone was on here recently saying they was donating their car for science!

Seriously though - can anyone remember if this is a sane & economical option?

Originally posted by Elliot

I've only just realised your avatar is on about an aerotop, I just thought you were a naturist or naturalist or whatever they're called!

Excellent, I wonder how many other people think I'm a naturist!!!! :p

I forgot that option

That's a darn good idea, but I'd have to see it reliably done first, but isn't someone on here starting that?

I remember 'Jagman'(?) exploring the possibility a few months back, and I'm pretty sure someone was on here recently saying they was donating their car for science!

Seriously though - can anyone remember if this is a sane & economical option?

Not too economical Dangerous Brain was thinking about it and was getting costs of 7k.

Leet - I know what you mean about paying cheap, getting cheap - that's why I was worried about getting one of these dirt cheap TTs - I wonder if there is anyone who's bought a cheap TT & had zero problems?

cheap and a private sale can mean a ok/good car. Let's face it turbo problems can occur any time especially when messing with the boost, so a cars age / price can have little bearing on the possibility of problems.

You test drive a TT and the turbo's either work or the don't! its difficult for someone to cover this up. Anyway if you've brought really cheap you've got a little cover for the unexpected, whereas you can buy expensive and have the exact same problems could happen.......all i'm saying is cheap cars are definitely worth a look / drive rather than being instantly dismissed as sheds................

Yes I was looking into the option of supercharging my wagon. It all came down to hinging on a kit that may be modifiable to fit the non-vvti N/A supra. (If you have the VVTi supe there is a kit will bolt straight on your car, search out my thread for details)Problem is I would have to gamble nearly a grand on wether or not the brackets would fit as the guy in the states said he wouldn't take them back if I bought them and they didn't fit.

They are going to open a retail outlet in the UK sometime soon and when they do it should be a more viable solution then. I am an impatient git and wont wait around that long so I have decided on the TT transplant instead. It should be a relatively simple process with only the newfangled electrics to fox me. I will let you all know the costings when its completed.

You have got a dangerous brain! Twin engined Supra - slightly crazy!

When are you thinking about doing the TT transplant? Would be great to know what the costs involved are, especially as there are so many people crashing at the moment & all those spare engines about!