The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Body shop quote....

jackso11

I have rust on my boot lid (as in picture) and want to get it sorted. Was on my new car I bought this weekend when I got it.

So far the options are

Kight racer quote:-

- Remove rear boot spoiler, weld up holes, smooth and prep

- Remove rear windscreen

- Rust repair

- Respray whole bootlid/tailgate

- Roof rust repair and respray

Total £650.00

Which seems like a hell of a lot for basically spraying a boot lid and about 2 inch square piece of roof!!!

or

Dave whittle quote:-

Rough quote about 175.00 + 50 materials.

That was just the boot though.

What do people think of these quotes and does anybody have experience with either of them?

I am in the east london area so if anyone has anyone to recommend please shout out.

Rust1.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Rust3.jpg

That is Dave Whittle I believe ;)

Yes it is :D

Go with Dave the man knows what he is doing and in my opinion is very good, did a few bits on my car nothing major but i have seen the work he has done with tooquicktostop's (Dean) cars and they have been very good!!!;)

Knight racer quote includes a new window seal, but not a toyota one. Said a toyota one is an extra £175.

I have a mate who also does very good work up in lincolnshire but he is away for a few weeks and I want to get it sorted. Also as its around the window I really want someone who has worked on supras before.

Just waiting for Dave to get back to me now I have sent him the photos.

The other option of course is get a boot with no rust and de-spoiler that, which may be cheaper.

Knight racer quote includes a new window seal, but not a toyota one. Said a toyota one is an extra £175.

I have a mate who also does very good work up in lincolnshire but he is away for a few weeks and I want to get it sorted. Also as its around the window I really want someone who has worked on supras before.

Just waiting for Dave to get back to me now I have sent him the photos.

The other option of course is get a boot with no rust and de-spoiler that, which may be cheaper.

whats your mate called and located in Lincoln, if he is as good as you say i would be interested in using him for some parts.... :)

I will get his details for you.

I only know him by first name, and at the moment he is in South africa being my step brothers best man :D

I have seen his work and its very good and very resonable. Had a bumper scrape sorted on my mums car in silver, only cost £80 and was perfect.

If it was a panel not around a window I would deffinatly go to him, but as I said before for a job like this I really want someone who knows supras. Might take the roof panel to him.

The seal round the rear window is £44 from Toyota as ive just ordered one for when i repaint my tailgate so i dont see where KR get £175 from ?

Supraloopys quote is seriously cheap in my opinion, shame he's not up here in the midlands as he could do mine then :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

£44? really?

Well that has just decided for me I will not be going there. This is what they said...

"Also price quoted above includes a brand new generic windscreen trim, but if you want a Toyota genuine part, it is around £175 for the trims alone."

Which is proven now as a blatant lie! That is an inflation of £136! not happy with that at all.

£44? really?

Well that has just decided for me I will not be going there. This is what they said...

"Also price quoted above includes a brand new generic windscreen trim, but if you want a Toyota genuine part, it is around £175 for the trims alone."

Which is proven now as a blatant lie! That is an inflation of £136! not happy with that at all.

Say no more Dave it is!! ;)

£44? really?

Yes mate, ive just ordered my new rear window seal from Steve Manley this morning and its £44.53 inc vat + delivery.

This is only the seal that goes round the window though and not the tailgate seal that goes round the boot opening !

Thats £70.35 inc vat if you need to change that as well so still way under what KR are quoting you even if there replacing both.

Looks like it. Once he comes back with his quote (sent him pictures so should get a more precise quote now).

As long as he takes the window out the work is his, I don't want the rust coming back.

Although I do keep thinking if I get the window seal myself and just go to my mate, might work out cheaper.

Dave...quote me happy :D

Pictures are great but i'd want to see his work in the flesh as piccies always make paintwork look way better than it is.

My car looks like its mint in pics but trust me its not even close when your stood infront of it.

All the best

Pictures are great but i'd want to see his work in the flesh as piccies always make paintwork look way better than it is.

My car looks like its mint in pics but trust me its not even close when your stood infront of it.

All the best

Thats a good point but i personally have seen his work in the flesh and i can vouch for it and im sure others can too:)

Also see the thread below where one of the guys on here has a lot of work done by Dave ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=188199

Hi Adam,

The quote for the work is priced according to our usual prices. I believe it is quite competitive as we will be removing the windscreen, welding up the holes, rust repair with welding, smoothing, prepping the entire tailgate, prepping entire roof panel, respray entire tailgate and respray entire roof panel. Flat and polish to showroom finish.

So this is not just a quick repair with windows still in, and a blow in with some paint to match. We do not offer this service and it will not solve the problem in the long term.

The price for fitting geniune trims was quoted by the windscreen company over the road which (I mentioned this in the quote) carry out all of our windscreen work, so what they charge is just passed to the customer.