The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help out a newbie? Wheels & Lowering

Guest Jacksupra

Guest Jacksupra

Hi all,

Ive got a 1996 black supra TT

Im pretty sure its standardish height but has bilstein shockers,

What i would like to do is get a Eibach kit that lowers the front 35mm and the back 25 (i think)

Then i would like to get 18"ccw 505 wheels on the front and 19" on the back,

Can this work? Any suggestions advice would be appreciated:)

thanks

If you feel the need to fit 18" rims to the front and 19" rims to the back I'd advise strongly against lowering the front of the car more than the rear. Id imagine the proper suspension geometry, (caster, trail etc.) would be difficult to retain with such a differance in ride height front and rear.

I'd recommend fitting 18's all round and getting a proper geo set-up done.

What is the benefit of fitting 19's on the back and 18's on the front??

Stick with 18's all round mate and like it says above get you geometry set up right and it will handle great plus it will be that little bit more comfortable unless of course your just going to be using the cars for track days then comfort really isnt that much of an issue:)

Guest Jacksupra

thanks guys, just thought the 18-19 idea might look better? Never mind... Are people against having 19's all round?

Thanks again people

It might look quite nice but otherwise i dont really see any other benefits?!

I wouldnt say people are against 19's as i know quite a few members on here have them but personally i was told 18's would be more comfortable so thats what i chose but at the end of the day everyone had their own reasons and opinions ;)

thanks guys, just thought the 18-19 idea might look better? Never mind... Are people against having 19's all round?

Thanks again people

I have 19's on mine and they are not as bas as everyone makes out. The ride is quite comfortable and the handling isn't bad either.

IMO 19's look nicer as they fill the arches out more ;)

The point is that the Supra is an old car and the suspension parts (even if you change the dampers and springs) are made to work with 16" and 17" wheels. The more you move away from that, the harder it will be for the suspension to make the tyre grip the surface at speeds. It might look nice, but your handling will suffer.

Now, if you just dangle around town with 22" spinners and a huge sub going Oomph-Oomph-Oomph, it probably doesn't matter one bit ;-)

Eibach springs with 19's fitted allround to my car and im very happy how she drives either on rd or track.

You cant just lower the car though on the Eibachs and will need a proper geo done by somewhere like Centre Gravity.

Actually i'd recomend even if you stay on 17's to get a geo done as it makes a huge differance to the grip and drivability of the car.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)