The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18 or 19 inch Wheels?

tomssupra

Which is best? I'm looking at some 19" wheels but I’m not sure of the affect on the car, firstly, would I need to remove all the lining in the wheel arch? Does the handling change?

with the right ofset 19" wheel you will not need to remove the arch lining, you may however have to role the arches dependent on tyre width choice.

It does effect handling though, the ride with be firmer on 19" as there is less complacency in the tyre side wall coz there is less of it. 19" will also pull slightly more on the road - for example if you get in the groves worn in a motorway by a truck.

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

Whatever rims you get, be SURE the offset is correct (50mm as stock) and be SURE the centre hole in the rim is a proper snug fit on the nose of the car's hubs, WITHOUT use of hub rings. Wheels that need hub rings are generic, and generic rims are almost invariably junk rims. Buy a FORGED wheel, they are much stronger, usually a lot lighter than cast rims, and usually only made by reputable manufacturers. People who work in wheel showrooms usually haven't a clue what they are talking about and will sell you anything. The wheel is one of most important parts of the handling chain, and the car was designed around a specific rim size and offset and tyre size. Bugger about with them (in ignorance) at your peril :) The more flashy a wheel looks the more junk it usually is. A stock alloy rim is expensive, and for a good reason, it's forged, well made, and it fits the car it was designed with.

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever rims you get, be SURE the offset is correct (50mm as stock) and be SURE the centre hole in the rim is a proper snug fit on the nose of the car's hubs, WITHOUT use of hub rings. Wheels that need hub rings are generic, and generic rims are almost invariably junk rims.

I wouldn't say that 95% or more of us on here have junk wheels. :eyebrows: :)

I agree totally if you want to optimise handling but most of us will never go near a track or push the car anywhere near it's limits on country roads. :)

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

I wouldn't say that 95% or more of us on here have junk wheels. :eyebrows: :)

I probably would :)

I agree totally if you want to optimise handling but most of us will never go near a track or push the car anywhere near it's limits on country roads. :)

These things either fit or they don't, and are either well made or they are poorly made. Sorry, but most aftermarket wheels on Supras ARE junk compared to the OE ones ;) Some (many, actually) are cringingly bad! A poor wheel is as apparent around town as it is on a race track, at 70 mph as much as at 170 MPH. A shattered rim on a cheap cast wheel can be caused by hitting a kerb on a road at 40 MPH just as easily as on the Mille Miglia at 140. I'll be taking my medication soon, you'll be glad to hear :) I'll be better then, you lot will still have *hit wheels though ;)

I probably would :)

These things either fit or they don't, and are either well made or they are poorly made. Sorry, but most aftermarket wheels on Supras ARE junk compared to the OE ones ;) Some (many, actually) are cringingly bad! A poor wheel is as apparent around town as it is on a race track, at 70 mph as much as at 170 MPH. A shattered rim on a cheap cast wheel can be caused by hitting a kerb on a road at 40 MPH just as easily as on the Mille Miglia at 140. I'll be taking my medication soon, you'll be glad to hear :) I'll be better then, you lot will still have *hit wheels though ;)

Harsh, but my wheels are within your acceptable tolerance, so I'll let you off just this once. :D

. I'll be taking my medication soon, you'll be glad to hear :) I'll be better then, you lot will still have *hit wheels though ;)

ha ha :D

I bet there aren't that many of us on here that've driven the Supra on stock wheels so wouldn't be aware of the difference between wheels designed for the car and those that aren't. :blink:

Going fast in a straight line is good enough for me. :innocent:

Almost time for my medication too. ;)