The mkiv Supra Owners Club

e36coupe.com forum user on his travels

Guest Darth Spankey

Guest Darth Spankey

Folks,

I'm finally surrendering to boredom with my

Anyone got any advice of holding out for the `old lady who drove it to the shops' private sale vs just going to a stealer straight off (yes, I'm bitter - but BMW charge u £185 to change ur oil).

Well let me know folks, also, some good `in the know' / l33t phrases would be good so I can give the impression of someone who knows something about the beastie on the forecourt.

Thanks for any help......

p.s. yes, a 3rd question, - are all bodykits equal or are some more equal than others - I've seen loads advertised with bodykits but how do I split the chod from the knob?

DS.

Ooo a virgin! :D

Hi Darth

Originally posted by Darth Spankey

Anyone got any advice of holding out for the `old lady who drove it to the shops' private sale vs just going to a stealer straight off

Don't waste your time mate, folks have waited month before giving up.

I'm bitter - but BMW charge u £185 to change ur oil
Good! Should be more if you ask me :D

are all bodykits equal .... I've seen loads advertised with bodykits but how do I split the chod from the knob?
You can't really tell without seeing them in the flesh. There are LOADS of copies about, probably more copies than original ones actually. Some are great, lots aren't. A lot depends on the fitting though.

The good and sometimes cheap private sales are out there but not often............sticking to just manuals will restrict your choice but again they are out there, its just there aren't many at any one time and they tend to carry quite a premium over a similar age / spec auto.

I think for lots of auto owners on here its their first auto car, and most have no problems with it, some even prefer it over the manual.

As for knowing something about them, well what you've read here will help plus Search for "new zealand" on here should bring up a link which shows you how to read the chassis plate of an import supra. From this you can basically draft up what the chassis plate of the car advertised should be before setting off to view it. (this can impress / worry! a stealer)

Good luck with the searching.............you are doing the right thing!

Guest Darth Spankey

Jake - noticed you're a pompey chap just down the road - any good garages around here?

Also, Re: the Auto: mebbe I'll try one - but it seems an auto removes the most fun thing in driving - its the throwing the gears about like a nutter on the A3 that brings that authentic *real driving* Xbox Rally experience closer.

Finally - has anyone ever measured sex appeal vs bhp? I'm thinking of an experiment with the new car...

Post 2 of 25 - can anyone lend me a tenner?

DS.

Yeah , well Waterlooville/Cowplain actually, where are you dude?

Good garages? No, none at all as far as I can tell. Let me know if you find different.

Make sure you do try the Auto TT - they're great. I drove a 6speed TT and my Auto back to back on the day I bought mine. The TT gearbox is a bit, ummm, clunky. More like a dumper truck than a fast car :D They're both really strong boxes but the auto is more refined. Don't take my word for it but do make sure to try both.

sex appeal vs bhp? Yeah, WhiteSupraBoy tests it every day from what I can make out :D

Guest Darth Spankey

Petersfield. Its a bus-stop on the side of the A3 adrift with scallys and ne'er do wells. The sole joy in petersfield is ripping the p1ss from the 316/8 boys who have done up their motors with m3 badges.

Isnt a low riding supra going to ground out nearly immediately on Hampshire tractor roads?

Also, If Im on 2k for a 328iS (2yrs no claims) shall I put mum on ebay now for the insurance?

DS.

Well a Supra can't be crashed over speedhumps and potholes, that's not what it was designed for, but it's the one of the more user-friendly performance cars. It's fine for normal roads. Last time I was in Petersfield the roads were no problem, I mean, it's not exactly Outer Mongolia is it.

£2000 for Ins on a 328 and only 2years NCD? How old are you mate?

What kit is that? Let's just say that you'd be looking at around £10k to get that baby supplied/fitted/painted. Still interested?

(Let us know when your Mum goes on ebay)

Guest Darth Spankey

I did design and technoloy GCSE so I reckon I could knock up that bodykit with balsa and a glue gun alot shy of 10k, still, yelp!

Looks damn nice tho, I love that ab flug thing too, just like a cylon vessel in battlestar galactica.

24 years old, but only 2Years NCD as had no cars before that (yep - I started at 200bhp woohoo!). No police convictions or anything else either, its just the short amount of experience.

Tho read in the paper last week that working in marketing qualifies me as a `car slut ' (thats the official insurance demograph) which pushes it up a bit.

Not many Supra owners up late at night... worrying sign...

Supra is my next stepping stone to my Merc SLR, now thats a combat ready vessel if ever I saw one...

DS.

Not many Supra owners up late at night... worrying sign....

Why's that worrying?

There's 16 folks on the BBS at the mo. This BBS is less of a chat room than some other BBSs you might have been on. If you want answers to Supra related stuff this is the place though.

Welcome.... :D

Death, The fact that you have only been driving a couple of years will deffinitely go against you, so expect to pay.

That is one nice looking Supe you posted there, love the sides.

Pretty sure a lot of people test drive some Supras from some importer down at Southampton, have heard the cars can be a bit on the crud side, but it might be worth looking into just to have a play in a few :conf:

Finally - has anyone ever measured sex appeal vs bhp? I'm thinking of an experiment with the new car...

I've got an NA so less BHP but still seem to be popular when I'm out and about...... :p

Welcome by the way

Originally posted by Faye

I've got an NA so less BHP but still seem to be popular when I'm out and about...... :p

Welcome by the way

And this has nothing to do with the fact that you constantly drive around topless, even in winter ........ hub caps anyone :p ;)