The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The world is full of bodgers!

Need4Speed

I bought a decent lowish mileage UK TT recently. Today I went to investigate what I thought was a OSF slow puncture. I discovered that I needed two different wheel spanners to take the wheel off because not all the nuts were the same size! I then checked the other three wheels to find a similar problem.:wtf:

This car had new discs and pads fitted for the previous owner by a well known trader (SE England) on this forum who did various other jobs on the car at the same time - a total spend of nearly £3000. Did they not notice that there was a random selection of wheel nuts. Did they not think it strange that a 21mm and a 19mm socket were needed - as well as the locking nut key. If I had been doing £3000 worth of work on a car and found that, I would have informed the customer and changed the nuts for a proper set.

And don't even get me started on the use of spacer/adapters to mess up the wheel offset!:mad:

These are not Corsas!!!

Edited by Need4Speed
Posting in Tech instead of chat! Sorry... (see edit history)

My car has 2 differrent sized sockets as when I fitted my McGuard locking wheel locks last week they were a 21mm socket, the rest are smaller...... Nothing wrong with that.

Do you have 3 or more different sized sockets? if so do you have more than 1 locking wheel nutfitted per wheel?

The car's got smart red calipers and smart rims so I was surprised to find an assortment of rusty wheel nuts. Rant over...

It may just have had the bolt replaced 1 by 1 over time for some reason, perhaps 1 went missing every so often each time the wheel was taken off etc and it was a case of 'ah this one fits, it will do'.

Maybe the ex owner told them not to change them, cant really blame the trader without knowing.

Exactly this, it's like when people pay traders to fit shite ebay stuff to to their cars, I'm sure the traders would advise not to have the part fitted but if the customer insists then the trader is not at fault.

Tell me about it....after it went in for some work i had a...

Leaking Brake Calliper

Leaking Fuel Rail - Nice and safe to drive that!

Front bumper hanging on without any screws...

Those are the top 3 of a list as long as my arm.....

They bodged up my car so bad i sold it as i kept finding more and more bodges...

not the worst thing in the world really

But frustrating nonetheless.

It's the one reason why I do as much work on my car as possible, because without exception every single garage I've taken my cars to have screwed something up. Sometimes that one thing they've screwed up is a small detail, but it was a small enough detail for me to notice. Other times it's been a complete and utter balls-up that any layman could notice.

The thing is, regardless of what people may believe, wielding spanners and reading a manual that tells you "put bolt 'a' into hole 'b'" is actually very easy and quite often more difficult to cock-up than do right.