The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Detailing help needed

EdMorris

Following on from my recent mistake of leaving my car at Enigmatec, it turns out they have f@@ked up my new repsray by parking it outside uncovered (although I gave them a proper cover to use). There is a bodyshop opposite and God only knows what kind of crap is now adoring my previously lovely paint (they also buggered my drivers door mirror which is in retract position although this has been forced as they're electric). Suffice to say, don't use these guys.

Anyway, I need some advice on cleaning/restoring the colour and in particular any products you guys recommend. I have washed it twice with meguires gold class shampoo, but I'm still left with a white mottled haze thats rough to the touch (see pics). I'm assuming some kind of paint cleaner is needed, but I'm new to this so any help is appreciated. I like Meguires stuff and use their gold class polish too, but I'm happy to try any product that will do the job.

Thanks guys.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Edited by EdMorris
Forgot the pics (see edit history)

Yeah I'd be threatening the company who did that with legal action if they don't sort it out. They're obliged to give your car back to you in as good condition (or better) as when you dropped it off.

When a company I once used damaged my front bumper on their drive and dropped the petrol filling handle on my bodywork, I didn't even have to ask. They right away told me they're repair it for me free of charge.

Have u tried claying the car or used tar remover to see if it comes off?

If not u will need a mild cutting compound and preferbaly a good machine (rotary or DA) to polish and get the cut required to remove that cr4p.

Obviously u dont want a deep cut and remove excessive paint so would use something with a light to intermiadiate cut.

I would personally be sending someone round to their cars and getting them looking worse than they left mine!

I know, I feel the same, so angry about this but I want to move on and put it behind me. I really wouldn't trust them to do anything further with my pride and joy.

Its really just some product recommendations I'm after and advice on applying them, maybe what kind of machine to purchase as I'd like to try and do it myself. However, I appreciate words of encouragement I just don't want to go down any legal route.

Could you take it back to where you got the respray done and ask advise. They will have a buffer etc and different grades of polish etc. Just a thought?

Sorry to see such a f£ck up. What colour is it? Looks nice. :)

I did think about that actually. It was done at GVN (now G & N, I believe?). Anyway, its still not driveable so I'd like to have a go myself in the garage, where its out of harms way. Oh and the colour is marone eclipsis, old lambo colour.

I know, I feel the same, so angry about this but I want to move on and put it behind me. I really wouldn't trust them to do anything further with my pride and joy.

Its really just some product recommendations I'm after and advice on applying them, maybe what kind of machine to purchase as I'd like to try and do it myself. However, I appreciate words of encouragement I just don't want to go down any legal route.

My friend (who came up with me when I picked those weights up) has a Porter-Cable polishing machine mate, that might help? I could ask if he would lend it to you? He's just had a respray too so doesn't need it at the minute.

My friend (who came up with me when I picked those weights up) has a Porter-Cable polishing machine mate, that might help? I could ask if he would lend it to you? He's just had a respray too so doesn't need it at the minute.

I'd really appreciate that. Thanks very much :thumbs: I'll have look online for some Meguires stuff to do the job.

Can you not approach the company who did the respray, ask them how much to resolve the paint issues then go back to Enigmatec and get them to pay the bill?

If you have given them a cover to use and specific instructions to use it as it's a recently finished respray, then they should have to rectify the problem or provide the money to resolve it elsewhere.

Have you registered on detailing world and asked advice there? I've always found it a friendly forum.

That's probably about the best advise anyone can give you Ed!

I would say....

Good wash down with a high concentrate shampoo or snowfoam, I'd recommend Zymol Autowash (comes as a green concentrate) available at Halfords quite cheap. Wash with 2 bucket method (one bucket full of cool water and a mix of your shampoo, then a second bucket filled with just cool water to dip your mitt in and clean after washing down each panel) this is to prevent cantaminants and dirt particles caught in your wash mitt being spread or even worked further into the paint, do not use circular motions when washing, use straight lines, then obviously hose the car down afterwards

Dry off with soft/waffle weave towel.

Clay the whole car, this will remove surface contaminants like overspray.

As already said start with the lightest abrasive necessary to do the job, you might get away with something like Meguiars #83 or #80, work in using a rotary tool, E.G portacable then step back up through your grades of polish, I.E if you started with Meguiars #83, use #80 and so on

I use the 3M stuff, Green cap (most abrasive), then Yellow cap (mid abrasive) Blue cap (least abrasive)

You can then apply wax to seal in all your hard work :)

That's the basics anyway but get yourself onto DW, they'll look after you :)

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

get someone who knows what hes doing , job done first time .then all you do is look after it from then on .

you can spend a fortune on equipment and still not get decent results , after which youll be really pi55ed at wasting your money .

just my opinion for what its werth lol.

hope you get it sorted .

and as for the DW route yes theres good advice on there but dont get cought up in the hype , it will cost you

Im a panel beat myself mate and am pritty sure thats Over Spray on your car.

Claying will remove this there are plenty of video's on how to use it on Youtube:)

Yeah i would guess it's probably overspray being parked next to a paint shop. Get the clay bar on it!