The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adding speed camera POI's to a sat nav, worthwhile??

Chris Wilson

I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age and now have a Garmin Sat-Nav. I believe you can add points of interest to the unit via the PC, and wonder if speed camera databases are worthwhile? Do you have to buy these? I use the thing mainly in my truck to avoid low bridges and weight limits, but have now started using it in the car if I am going somewhere unfamiliar and don't have time to draft out a route with a good old map :) Cheers.

I have the speed cameras on my Garmin. Its always been spot on and even does the average jobbies on the motorways, even the temporary one’s. There are weekly updates which I think are worth the extra.

Oh and it’s reassuring to know when your travelling through an accident black spot, which is the only reason I have it. :D

Thanks, what is the best source for current camera POI databases, even if I have to pay a sub? Do Garmin themselves offer this? I have looked, but been unable to find, a POI file for no entry to over 7.5 tonne vehicles, anayone know of such a thing? I find it oftens wants to send me a direct route to X, but via lots of no access to + 7.5 tonne vehicles. It will re calculate, but if it could avoid them in the first place it would b cool :)