The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Better value for money - respray or vinyl wrapping

charlton

I want to change the colour of my Supe from white to (big change here) matte white but am unsure what will be better value for money - respray or vinyl wrap?

An argument for vinyl is that I want to put a matte black or carbon fibre stripe down the centre of the Supe as well (hopefully nicer than it sounds) so there will be a requirement for vinyl anyway (unless its sprayed on)

And an argument for the respray is that I need a few things patched up and deleted (rear wiper arm etc) so it will need to go to a sprayer for the body work

Have also seen you can wrap wheels in carbon fibre effect as well so I am quite tempted by that - pic 46 in this link

Any opinions on the costs and the maintenance to do either?

You'd need the bodywork to be sorted before you wrap in order to get a decent finish, with the prep work involved it's probably more sensible to get a respray in normal white and then wrap over that to protect it. Best of both and no issues selling later when you realise you're the only person in the world who thinks matt white is acceptable ;)

You'd need the bodywork to be sorted before you wrap in order to get a decent finish, with the prep work involved it's probably more sensible to get a respray in normal white and then wrap over that to protect it. Best of both and no issues selling later when you realise you're the only person in the world who thinks matt white is acceptable ;)

I'm in full agreement with Mitch.. hang on :think:

That was quite a tame reply by your standards so thank you! If I was to respray it white then it would have to be a bright, shiny white and I would leave it at that.

The reason I'm thinking of a wrap is I live down a pretty shocking road which is uneven with gravel so it is prone to chips and scuffs - people always ask how I get my Supe down it and it would be easier to repalce the wrap

Seems like a lot of money for such an minor cosmetic change. You a rich man then charlton? ;)

I wish, I would have a TT aero if I was! Quite tempted to save a little extra and get one but then it would be cheaper getting my supe to the way I want it (I think....)

Wrapping will not give you the finish you are after trust me Ive wrapped vehicles and would proberly cost you just as much as a respray.

The Carbon or black strip is not a problem in vinyl.

What made me think of it is there is a matte black Celica in the new issue of Banzai and it looks quite a good alternative by the photo - its on the top left of page 40 I think (off the top of my head)

The wrap still gets damaged by gravel/stone chips and has a shelf life of 3 years if I recall.

But it does a good job of protecting what's underneath.

It sounds easier to replace vinyl than all the prep work with spraying and it does to some degree protect the bodywork underneath as well - although the shelf life puts me off a little

Does it cost more or need more prep work to have matte paint? Any sprayers on here fancy giving me a rough price ;)

It sounds easier to replace vinyl than all the prep work with spraying and it does to some degree protect the bodywork underneath as well - although the shelf life puts me off a little

I'd only ever consider it if i was planning to remove it or i was wanting to protect what is underneath. But i quess if you're looking for a standard matt finish then it's a good option.

I researched this as an alternative to respray. I got to see a job being done on a Lambo at JTS back in June by the same company I'de been in contact with. The attraction was the versatility of vinyl and the ability to incorporate photo images as graphics. To be honest, I was disappointed with the finish. I guess if your going for the matt look then it would be okay, their CF lookeylikey was quite nice but the gloss finish was a bit dull, I would have missed that deep shine. I was trying to cover a hairline crack but as the vinyl is such a tight fit it shows up any imperfections underneath so you would still need to do some prep first. On balance the price is comparable to a respray as to its durability, take a look at any track car with vinyl graphics, after a couple of races on circuit, all the stone/rubber thrown up takes its toll.