The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ceramic turbo ate a rock

TooColdToDrive

Did 4 consecutive 1/4 mile runs in my 93 JSpec TT Auto, turbo noise changed.

Reg Reimer & Team at RCTS in Calgary diagnosed it and took some pretty pictures for me! Reg thinks someone fed me a rock while the car was sitting around with its hood up.

1st picture: Don't mind the bugs on the bumper, spent 800km on the Highway to get it to RCTS.

2nd and 3rd pictures: :(

4th picture: Similar to what should be going in.

I've decided to go single HKS turbo (T04Z), brand new, with HKS Vpro and AFK. Lucky enough that the only shop in Canada who is HKS pro certified is Reg's. Along with a new rad, timing belt, water pump, brakes, HKS Titanium racing exhaust, TRD 320km/h speedo, and a SLD, it's going to be a very expensive upgrade. We'll see how the car handles after all this though.

Plan is to run the t04z 10psi, producing about 400 wheel hp, enough so that I can run stock intercooler, injectors, and auto transmission. Any tips/comments on the build?

P1020257.jpg

P1020260.jpg

P1020262.jpg

P1020263.jpg

Edited by TooColdToDrive (see edit history)

would be a waste of a single imo, probably not very nice to drive & less responsive than your current setup

If you only want 400bhp go with some hybrid stock based twins,

You wouldn't get 400 WHP out of the stock twins though would you. And i've only ever heard a couple of good stories about hybrid turbos.

From what I understand of the term BHP, I'm aiming for about 520 BHP or 400 wheel HP. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

As far as hybrid twins/Billet turbos go, I wanted (a) brand new turbo/s, and something this shop was comfortable installing - which fell on the t04z. Good shops are hard to come by where I live, so I try to suit my upgrades with what this shop is known for.

sorry, miss-read the WHP bit[sAD][/sAD]

Reg should be comfortable mapping that without any problems, But I would have thought you would need to replace the injectors for 650's as a minimum.

I would also think that if 450whp is all your after, a T61 would be better for a faster spool.

Have a look here to get an idea what people are running

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=129455

Edited by foodfreak (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Plan is to run the t04z 10psi, producing about 400 wheel hp, enough so that I can run stock intercooler, injectors, and auto transmission. Any tips/comments on the build?

From what I understand of the term BHP, I'm aiming for about 520 BHP or 400 wheel HP. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Your car looks to be a j-spec from the pics? You wont get anywhere near a real 520fly bhp or 400whp from 440cc injectors.

Your car looks to be a j-spec from the pics? You wont get anywhere near a real 520fly bhp or 400whp from 440cc injectors.

The injectors are being swapped out as well.

The I/C Is good to 600whp, at least on Reg's Supra. I got a newer stock sidemount put in (just incase shrapnel was sitting in there from the ceramics)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I wish I knew why someone would feed me a rock too Aweegin :(

The car has not been tuned yet - giving it until the spring with a 4500rpm rev limiter to break in the turbo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...