The mkiv Supra Owners Club

power upgrades?

drift_bear

There are power upgrades but they aren't very cost effective, the most sensible upgrade is to drop a TT engine in there. On a smaller scale just put an exhaust on, you won't go any faster but it will sound like you are.

Money would be better spent on suspension, brakes, tyres etc to make the most of the power you have, carry more of it through the corners so you don't have to wait to get back up to 30mph all the time.

You can buy an uprated battery or alternator from Powerhouseracing.

$209 for the battery

$599 for the alternator

Apologies for the cruel joke there. Otherwise some say an induction kit, decats, exhausts will bring some. Decats though will lose you some torque I believe. Induction kits can also not be as good as stock.

Apart from increasing displacement and a lot of internal work, fuelling and electronics or nitrous (all of these are not cheap / low risk / low maintenance) there aren't any easy / reasonably priced BHP/Torque upgrades for the NA. You may as well look into exchanging the engine for a TT and then working from there to be honest chap.

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

There are power upgrades but they aren't very cost effective, the most sensible upgrade is to drop a TT engine in there. On a smaller scale just put an exhaust on, you won't go any faster but it will sound like you are.

Money would be better spent on suspension, brakes, tyres etc to make the most of the power you have, carry more of it through the corners so you don't have to wait to get back up to 30mph all the time.

A sensible answer, Everything ok? :p

• 2 weeks later...

I like the sound of the exhaust on my n/a.

Was fitted by the previous owner, but has a full system with single decat.

Sounds sweeeet.

Im not sure if its loud loud though, i wouldnt say it was quiet, but i wouldnt say it was mega loud. Just about right i think.

i remember reading somewhere here an supercharger NA project,

don’t know if was finished, but meaby is more cost effective than installing a turbocharger setup or meaby a TT lump. :D

not cost effective.just different.think a fiew people are in the proccess of fitting one at the moment.unless you can fabricate yourself dont think about it.surprising how much ive spent already.

I'd, as mentioned above, work on the chassis.

I have a NA-TT as ya know, and was out having a spirited drive with my mate in his Evo V last night. Wastes him when I hit a straight but he brings it back when it gets twisty.

I have Tein coilovers but pretty poor tyres at the moment (still not bought GOOD ones since purchasing the car) and there is no aftermarket bracing on the car.

My intention is to play about with the coilies and get them tweaked both as far as height and and damping to carry it through bends better. You've seen the car and it isn't low whatsoever, yet it might be after that drive! Was bottoming out alot and had mucho exhaust sparks! :(

A tower brace, rear strut brace and an under brace may be beneficial aswell.

As I said about mine being poor, a really high quality set of tyres is on the cards.

I'd invest in these things I've mentioned as that's going to be where you'll find most gains (especially for the money!).

The other thing you may find is that if you get the car well setup with the right components now, when you do a TT conversion then you'll have the additional items on there to accompany it ;) Rather than if you tried to tweak the NA block and that is all money for nothing when you swap it.

To put it in perspective about the tuning of the NA, it's cheaper to buy and have a TT lump fitted than it is to tune an NA to still have less than a stock TT.

It doesn't make sense to do anything but the conversion :)

Very sensible answer... you feeling alright mate :p

Depends on power upgrade, some people just want a little extra Oopmh & not exactly a

mind blowing difference as the TT conversion will bring it into a different league!

I'd personally will start off with helping it breathe better & then work on things like the

suspension & chassis as mention above in the previous posts.