The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Bristol - Looking to buy 1st Supra

The-Plethora

Hello All

I am Bristol based in the UK and will hopefully shortly be looking at getting my first Supra.

Currently I have a 6th generation Toyota Celica GT and lurk on the 6gc.net forums. I did play with the idea of getting a GT4 or even a newer celica but I have always liked the supra and so have settled on it now.

Current car is in good condition and has a fairly decent top end speed but just takes an age to get there.

I am looking at spending £6000- £8000 on a supra and with trade in on my current car (bought for £5500 4 years ago) I can hope to get around £2000 back on it.

The only real pre-requisites I have is that it must be silver (or have eye catching paint), twin turbo 1995 or newer (and ideally have an aftermarket bumper and skirts).

I have looked a bit on the bay and check pistonheads regularly, I see several people here have a few for sale currently.

I have read the guides (very helpful) but I was just wondering how much weighting I should put on mileage? My current 1999 Celica has 91K (miles) on it now and as the supra is not the most economical car even older ones have respectable miles on them. Would you dismiss a car for example that had 120K on it?

Secondly dealer or private? the dealer prices are going to be higher but I am using parkers guides here to see what trade in price I would get on my current car also it means I wont have to mess about with ebay 20 times as the amount of relisted cars there due to non payment is crazy.

Finally, I have had a few problems with siezing calipers on my Celica thankfully now fixed, is this as much as a problem on the supra or is it pretty much a luck of the draw and roll a six to start sort of thing?

Thanks for any help. Any local recomendations also greatfully recieved! :cool:

Edited by The-Plethora (see edit history)

Take your time in looking.

Do you want an auto or a 6 speed? Do you have many plans for the supra i.e engine performance mods etc.

There are quite a few of us around bristol who would probably be willing to check a car over for you if you found one.

If you see a car on pistonheads etc and its not on this forum post up a link as someone may know if its a good or bad car.

Have a look through the classifieds on here and ask lots of questions and use the search button at the top lots.

Welcome to the club :D

Guest SupraTroopa

Yeah if you want a hand or want to come out for a drive in a supe then drop one of us locals a line.

I picked up my supe back in April and I spent 9k but got a Facelift TT 6 speed in gunmetal with 30,000km on the clock. Mileage isnt an issue with these as long as they have been looked after IIRC there are at least 1 or 2 supes on the club with over 200k on the clock.

As for miles, no do not discount high miles.

I looked at various imports with mimimal miles showing but ended up buying a FTSH, 140K UK spec car in amazing condition (from a forum member). The car drives a treat in every respect, the power is just a joy.

I would not go on mileage, go on how the car looks, drives, feels, the extent of the service history and ideally buy one thats not been owned by a boy racer.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, phew what a couple of months. Had a few crisis moments where I thought is this sensible? and started looking at evo's MR2 turbos etc but I have comitted myself and now I just need to find the car.

So frustrating at the moment though! I have organised and had a call to say I have the agreement in principle from the loan company for the £8000 and the paperwork is in the post....right in the middle of a postal strike! so not only do I have to wait for it to arrive i have to wait for it to go back to them as well.

I will give them a call a call to see if there is any way around it to speed things up.

Edge you kindly mentioned that members may be willing to give me a quick opinion on a couple of cars.

The first one I have seen that I think is almost ideal is

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1259061.htm

No idea if it has been sold yet but I love the look of it and the fact it is a 96 is nice. It mentions the exhaust is cat back so I would have to hope it comes with the cats for me to fit back in or buy them myself. Any idea for a rough price on these?

The second car is...

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1270302.htm

Bit vague on details here and a bit old but its silver, its a twin turbo and it has a nice kit on it also. Obviously not much to go on here.

Hopefully I will get get one before long and I can become a sighned up member.

So annoying at the moment, I am holding off at the moment because I can imagine how frustrated I would be if someone came to buy my car and all they could say is "the money is on its way, just another week or so" ahhhhh!!![sAD][/sAD]

For £8k i would be looking for a 6 speed manual twin turbo.

Dont ever rush into buying a car. If you need to get around just buy someing for £200 with tax and mot to get you by.

I personally would not spend that much on an auto unless it was in prestine condition and the miles very low. But personaly would get a 6 speed.

Have you not paid for membership?

Can you see the classifieds section on this forum?

If i am realistic I am probably looking around £7000 or just over maximum, the reason being is I have a fair chunk (3K) on my credit card from buying things for my house when I moved in and I was hoping to clear it just to make monthly outgoings a bit easier. My repayments on the 8K will be £249 a month over 3 years, living alone with a mortgage I just want to make this as easy as I can on myself, dont get me wrong if i see something amazing I will stretch myself a bit further. As mentioned earlier I am hoping to get 2K back on my celica AFTER I have bought the supra which should take care of that quite nicely.

Luke from the cars you listed my personal (and probably wrong) thoughts are...

1. I love the colour, love the styling, love the milage and really like the alloys but at that price its just too much of a stretch for me.

2. Just dont fancy it in black and sounds like it needs a bit of work doing to it, also a bit too standard looking.

3. UK spec brakes is a big plus for me and I like the colour also and the shocks being sorted are all good points, I was hoping for slightly lower miles though and bodykit.

You are the guys in the know about this though and I trust your advice, any comments about the white one I linked earlier though?

I thought the silver one seemed very expensive for what it was also luke (the one I listed) but I like the look. I am unsure about you guys but if ever I see a car advert with hundreds of spelling mistakes I generally think hmmm yeah maybe not then...

I appreciate all your advice

Hi Kev I am in the outskirts of Bristol in the Yate / Chipping Sodbury area but dont let sway your opinion I am actually an ok guy and have never mugged an old lady in my life :)

Only just down the road. I was in Chipping Sodbury on Thursday night. I'd happily take you for a spin in mine, but that's probably not a good idea as it's a single :)

Ah yes a single would perhaps be a future plan, as you say there must be several Bristol owners on here.

I went to Bristol on saturday for a friends birthday meal and had a few drinks and was in the taxi coming back, we were just getting onto the M32 from the bus station just after midnight when a white supra (N reg was all I remember) rocketed past into the distance and there I was thinking the loan paperwork is in the post! :(

Sound advice.

If the car has been well looked after and properly maintained, the mileage is just a number.

There's no reason why cars like this cannot be as responsive after 100000, 125000 or 150000 miles as they were after 10000, 12500 or 15000 miles.

Guest SupraTroopa
I'd ask SupraTroopa where he sourced his. That's a lot of car for the money. :)

Good luck. :)

Got mine from west moors motor company in Southampton, it took months and months of waiting for the right car to come along but now I'm more than happy with my purchase. They originally advertised it at £11,995 but then it dropped lower and then I eventually got it for £8,995.

Got mine from west moors motor company in Southampton, it took months and months of waiting for the right car to come along but now I'm more than happy with my purchase. They originally advertised it at £11,995 but then it dropped lower and then I eventually got it for £8,995.

Nice one. :cool:

Oops. Sorry forgot to say hi to The-Plethora. Welcome to the club bud.

Thanks so much for the help everyone, just to let you know I have now paid to join the club as a lifetime member...seems a bit odd as i dont even have the car yet but sooooon I keep telling myself.

Don't worry - I've been a member here for over a year, and I've not bought my Supra yet. But the advice and information available here is tremendous.

Welcome aboard.

Of the cars suggested I would personally choose Carlo's, nice clean stock bodied facelift with the larger brakes.

I wouldn't get too hung up on bodykits, they are just bits of GRP that if needed can be added later.

The larger brakes would be a strong selling point for me. I'd personally look for a mechanically sound, clean stock bodied example, as these become rarer and rarer to find, it will be these cars that will hold their value the best.

If the car has been looked after and regularly serviced, mileage wouldn't be too much of an issue for me engine wise.

The main area of concern for me on a high miler would be the condition of the suspension. There must be a lot of cars out there now running around on tired factory fitted suspension. Worn suspension has a hugely detrimental effect on handling and grip and will become more of an issue come MOT time.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

On and on it goes! I phoned up and asked where the loan paperwork is and they said they sent it a week ago (postal strikes still on and another one on Monday) and so I asked them to send some more. When I came home that day the first lot had arrived, excitedly I filled it in only to notice they had put an extra letter in my surname so completely invalid.

I only just (on friday) sent back the ammended paperwork.

The guy who is selling the one I really like the look of...

http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1259/1259061-1.jpg

looks to have had enough of waiting for his pistonheads advert and has put it on the bay, bit gutted to have missed it to be honest but I guess there will be other cars.

Incidentally anyone have a rough idea how long after returning the paperwork the loan cash is in your account? I am looking at taking a few days off from work to do a circuit of the UK with my list of supras to check out :)