The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possibly getting a mk4

Guest bezly

Yo!

At the moment i am saving for a new car for Christmas and in a very tight battle to get either a MR2 Turbo Rev 3+ or a Supra Turbo. I will have saved a little over £4000 and I'm now looking for advice on what to get.

I currently own a 92' MR2 N/A and have had so much fun with it. I can honestly say i think it will be a car that i will go back to later in life, but right now i want a car with bigger balls and something i can use my youth days in.

I'm looking for a car that will give me a good run over 4 years (whilst at uni), i will be modding it and making it into a possible show car so I'm looking for a car I'm not going to want to change (N/A to Turbo etc).

I cant deny that the Supra is a gorgeous looking and I'm sure that with a bit of care and attention it can be a real head turner, but i have no idea what the reliability is like engine wise and if i spend £4000-5000 what kind i will get.

On the side of the MR2, i really have got used to the engine, performance and handling, i also think it is a head turner in its own right.

I'm sure your all biased towards the car you own (as were the mr2oc) but any help will be better than no help!

Thanks very much!

Welcome,the mr2 is a great car and not many people on here would say otherwise TBH.

The supra is heavier and not as nimble as the mr2 but can still hold its own!

Personally i think the TT would be a better option for you if you are after more speed than the mr2 although the NA is no slouch.

Reliability of the NA is bullet proof and the TT should be too if its been well looked after.

Budget wise 4-5k will get a mint NA but you might struggle to get a nice TT out there for that kind of money,but they are going for that so keep your eyes open and good luck:)

:) thats good to know :)

I might just keep saving, over the last few months the supra really has stole by heart with that gorgeous booty.

what bhp are you looking at on a supra N/A? and how does it compare to the MR2?

Thanks buddy!

Welcome along :)

An NA Supra is ~225 at the fly and performs roughly like a DC-2 (if that helps).

I got an NA-TT (engine converted model) with the 5 speed W58 gearbox that the NA manual features (factory TTs are all 6 speed Getrag V161 monster gearboxes ;)) in pretty good condition for just a shade under 5k. It's sitting at somewhere between 340 and 360bhp just now.

Depends if you're in a rush to get ahold of one? I was in the market for one for 15 months and then the right one cropped up :)

I don't have any personal experience with MR2s so can't compare and contrast from a drivers point of view. I like the look of a well done Rev 3/4/5 though I know that much!

With regards to your driving requirements, they'll be alot different with the MR2 being nimbler but the Supra (well, a TT) powering past on motorways/straights. All preference. Get a shot of both and see how they treat ya :)

The other thing to consider aswell is whether you'd have an automatic or not. The price can be a nice bit different on these and may suit your budget and spec desires better. I had to have a manual, partially why it took so long to come along :)

Best of luck!

:) thats good to know :)

I might just keep saving, over the last few months the supra really has stole by heart with that gorgeous booty.

what bhp are you looking at on a supra N/A? and how does it compare to the MR2?

Thanks buddy!

220hp if its been very well cared for. An N/A in comparison to a Tubby MR2 is a no-contest as far as performance goes. My wifes "bpu" MR2 would give my BPU supra some trouble until illegal speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

MR2 turbo needs big rears to keep it under control, the supra is better balanced for the power - IMO. I accidentally had a 360 spin in my old mr2 turbo, typical low-ish speed on a bend - have never come close to that in a supra. So, in short, take care.

MR2 turbo needs big rears to keep it under control, the supra is better balanced for the power - IMO. I accidentally had a 360 spin in my old mr2 turbo, typical low-ish speed on a bend - have never come close to that in a supra. So, in short, take care.

Cheers buddy! As you were obviously in the same position as me at one point whats you honest opinion on them both? And do you regret swapping the Mr. for a Supra?

Cheers

Welcome along :)

I got an NA-TT (engine converted model) with the 5 speed W58 gearbox that the NA manual features (factory TTs are all 6 speed Getrag V161 monster gearboxes ;)) in pretty good condition for just a shade under 5k. It's sitting at somewhere between 340 and 360bhp just now.

Just to add, the TT's ran a V160 gearbox, not the 161.

I'd rather have a £4000 MR2 than a £4000 Supra - it's a case of very nice MR2 or a bit of a shocking TT Supra IMO.

Depends how much cash you have to replace things and keep it on the road afterwards I guess but in your shoes I'd be looking at MR2s at the moment.

:yeahthat:

mr2 turbos are going for very sensible money at the moment so for 4k you would get a very good example,

i came from the world of mr2's and had one with 400+ bhp which was a bit of a handfull on the roads, i cannot comment on my supra as i havent actually driven it yet (long story) but have driven others with similar power and they feel a lot more balanced although not as quick.

in summary the supra is a lot more refined but the mr2 a little quicker and more nimble for similar power

paul

I think the main concern for you would be running costs, as being in Uni & running a 3.0 Twin Turbo would be quite amusing if you were using it as a daily driver. For the budget you have I would get an MR2 Turbo. If you were to go slightly higher on budget then you could get yourself a half decent TT Supe. They are amazing cars, I have driven hundreds of different cars & this one keeps me very happy! (Oh and the Murcielago LP640).

Good Luck Dude! :thumbs:

Cheers buddy! As you were obviously in the same position as me at one point whats you honest opinion on them both? And do you regret swapping the Mr. for a Supra?

Cheers

i don't regret the swap and would still consider an mr2 as a viable alternative. the mr2 definitely has a sportier feel as in it sits you very low to the ground and the engine set up is much more typical ferrari territory with the added turbo noise whizzing over your left shoulder. but then again it is a small car and i feel that at the top end speed wise the supra puts down the power quicker and is much more solid. in fact in those rare by gone days of going silly fast (and paying the penalties along the way) the supra is the most solid car i have driven. you will know that feeling in a car when it is telling you 'you are going too fast for me' - never happened in a supra.

Ahh, guess its the highlands then!

Would be a different story in London...a corsa maybe? :p

Haha yeah. I could drive the main road and get stuck in traffic or could have a - somewhat :p - quite backroad run and have a bit more fun whilst avoiding queues and get to Uni/Work in time.

Zing! :D

i don't regret the swap and would still consider an mr2 as a viable alternative. the mr2 definitely has a sportier feel as in it sits you very low to the ground and the engine set up is much more typical ferrari territory with the added turbo noise whizzing over your left shoulder. but then again it is a small car and i feel that at the top end speed wise the supra puts down the power quicker and is much more solid. in fact in those rare by gone days of going silly fast (and paying the penalties along the way) the supra is the most solid car i have driven. you will know that feeling in a car when it is telling you 'you are going too fast for me' - never happened in a supra.

120 plus and the MR2 loses all feeling. Its as if the nose lifts and becomes very very light. It doesn't feel stable at all.

I had 160 out of my MR2 on a private runway (GPS). I felt it had a little more to give but i just couldn't do it, i bottled it and very very gently eased off the accelerator. Never been anywhere near those speeds in it since, and i never will be.

Cheers guys, the read has been very interesting, i'm trying to look for a supra to drive so i can just atleast stop wondering!

I am although VERY tempted to buy a N/A Supra for my first year, and then see how i feel after owning a MR2 and Supra for a year each!

Oh the possibilities....

Don't know if i did post anything, but if anyone has got a Supra in Norfolk/Suffolk i can have a go in i would be very grateful :D

Cheerss :p