The mkiv Supra Owners Club

twin turbo auto or manual

Guest George89

Guest George89

Hi i am planning on buying a supra twin turbo and i need advice is it worth getting an automatic aero top or a manual coupe. Is their much diffrence in 0-60 times and power. as i am planning to get around 500bhp

For street use, I think a singel turbo Supra (you speaking of 500 bhp) won't be devastating quick 0-60. It's in gear acceleration in 2nd, 3rd etc that will impress you.

As you won't be able to get all your power down in 1st, it's difficult to say how much quicker a single will be compared to a stock Supe

It does depend on what your after, both are good, the auto so much easier and the manual more addaptable. I drove nothing but manuals for over 30 years, swore I would never get an auto..... guess what and I havn't regreted it.

As for power and speed not much in it both are good for over 500 hp though to get that you would have to go single or bigger twins.

Bob.

If its for everday use and down the pub then Auto will be good for 400 - 450bhp.

If your wanting to do trackdays and Nurburgring trips and wish to go 500+hp then a manual will be best for racing.

My brother has a single T67 and upto 60 - 80mph im actually quicker and im BPU twins running 1.3bar.

After 120mph he then winds me in and sucks me up lol.

And we are both uk manual's.

I have driven manual and Auto but N/A versions, Its hard to decide as the autobox is so good, Id imagine a manual TT would be easier to control because the kick down would be scary In wet conditions, But then again if you drive a supra you learn not to power-on on corners.

i thought id never drive an auto........ but once again the supra has proved me wrong !!!:) dont be put off by other people saying auto's are for lazy people etc.

its probably one if the best autoboxes out on the market still.

having not driven a manual supra i cant really say anything about it so im gunna choose not to ;)

but in all fairness get what you want. its your money :D

just read jamiep 10 sec thread, people were congratulating him saying its impressive for a MANUAL! autos are made for speed :) nice comfy drive in a auto to!

cant change gear quicker than a comp (unless you are actually jamie p lol)

I used own a manual performance cars like BMW M5, Quattro 20V Turbo etc etc. In recent years I've had automatics such as the Jaguar XKR, Volvo C70 and 996T and now the Supra.

I have to admit, with the Supra having the oldest gearbox, its actually holding its own against the newer cars and its a joy to use, very sharp and and precise, nice gear ratios, good reliability etc. I find auto's generally quicker and effortless on the roads. Had the 996T on a trackday and never even took it out of 'D'! I never even have to take any of my auto's out of 'D' even when pressing on some nice roads I enjoy the bike!

As others have said, if track days coupled with big power are your intention a manual would give you that few extra % on track.