The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem number 1!

James

Coming off a roundabout tonight and onto the joining road and hear a clunk and a bit of cluttering around and then the belt starts squealing.

The clunking stopped as the offending item flew out from under the car. I stopped and turned off quickly (hadn't been driving hard at all so was still pretty cool temp) and went back to see what it was.

Returned with the item and opened the bonnet to match up. It was the crank pulley (or at least its outer ring) that completely dislodged and came out by ripping through the undertray. Great! :taped:

Got off quite lucky to be honest as it'll be sorted easy enough I hope!

Just such an inconvenience!

Edited by James (see edit history)

I hope the crank is ok. I was doing about 30/40 when it happened, it took a second to realise what the noise was as I was decelerating, and it came out and the belt started making a noise as I was coming to a halt.

Fingers crossed.

Everything else looks ok...

Same thing happened to me in my Aristo Vertex (Same engine), was doing 90 when it decided to leave the engine bay....was not impressed.... left a huge dent on the front ARB

strange thing is it isnt something that happens on all cars with age...i know cars with over 200k miles and never had this issue...

I heard that its a minute manurfacturing defect and if you have that defect it can go at anytime.

I also heard that its where you use a strong antifreeze and when doing a top hose change if you get coolant over the pulley it eats away at the glue that holds the rubber onto the metal.....but again this could be an old wives tale....still interesting...

One word of advice though, if yours goes get a new one from Toyota. Its not worth getting a used one as it could just go again.

And if you have an Auto i would recommend you get it into Toyota for them to do it. I did mine but had to borrow a special tool from my local toyota garage. 4hrs later, lots of shouting and sweat and it finally came off.

In a manual you stick it in gear and it lock the drivetrain up, you can then just get a breaker bar on the front.

Edited by northstretch (see edit history)

Oh dear, i'm pretty confident my crank pulley is shagged too, i've got a spare sitting upstairs i've been waiting to fit, I think i'll fit it sooner rather than later now!

Hope there's no other damage. Not the best start for you, these Toyotas are meant to be reliable aren't they? Pulleys flying off all over the shop, good lord. :D

Same thing happened to me in my Aristo Vertex (Same engine), was doing 90 when it decided to leave the engine bay....was not impressed.... left a huge dent on the front ARB

strange thing is it isnt something that happens on all cars with age...i know cars with over 200k miles and never had this issue...

I heard that its a minute manurfacturing defect and if you have that defect it can go at anytime.

I also heard that its where you use a strong antifreeze and when doing a top hose change if you get coolant over the pulley it eats away at the glue that holds the rubber onto the metal.....but again this could be an old wives tale....still interesting...

One word of advice though, if yours goes get a new one from Toyota. Its not worth getting a used one as it could just go again.

And if you have an Auto i would recommend you get it into Toyota for them to do it. I did mine but had to borrow a special tool from my local toyota garage. 4hrs later, lots of shouting and sweat and it finally came off.

In a manual you stick it in gear and it lock the drivetrain up, you can then just get a breaker bar on the front.

Yeah it's a manual.

I've been doing my research and that seems the way to do it indeed!

Not added any extra anti freeze or anything. There were no squeaks prior (apart from thrust bearing but that's a different story) and I wasn't changing gear or anything at the time. Bit strange.

Waiting on a call back from local Toyota dealer as to price and availability.

I had exactly the same thing on the M4, luckily my tray caught it and caused no more damage but you're right on the price. Mine was £220 from Toyota but pretty easy to fix with the right tools, same as changing the cam belt i think. If it's just the pulley then you got away lightly by the looks of it.

It's the rubber that seperates in the crank pulley (the break in the white tipex line in the pic below), damper sub assy 13407 - 46020, as far as I understand that causes the protruding part to come flying off. Does it look like the front of this?

13082009382.jpg

It's almost exactly 6 inches diameter. I would imagine that's what it is, isn't all the the flywheel stuff on the other side of the engine? (waits to be corrected of some glaring basic error)

Just 13407-46020 right enough then? The damper sub assembly?

It's so screwed up how it just happened! As common as it is, bit worrying!

Get yours done pronto Rick ;)

I hope there are no other tendencies like this for me to find out about in such a way!

Just 13407-46020 right enough then? The damper sub assembly?

It's so screwed up how it just happened! As common as it is, bit worrying!

Get yours done pronto Rick ;)

I hope there are no other tendencies like this for me to find out about in such a way!

I can imagine it was probably new pants time when it happened!

I was going to get a good few weeks blasting about once i've finished doing all my rear bushes before I saw to the pulley but yeah I guess i'll have to do this sharpish :(

Yeah that's the part number for the pulley, I got a new bolt as well (90119 - 18002). You gonna have a bash at fitting it yourself or you going to give it to a garage?