The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1UZFE conversion

Kearney

Was browsing around on the net at a few different sites and have come to the conclusion that the 1uzfe conversion on a mkiv supra is by far the coolest. Looking at what people spent getting it done its not a bad job by any means.

this may be in an ae86 but the noise is just amazing :D

a friend of mine did it on a MK2 supra to get the lowest weight possible. It is one EVIL car now...

Yeah I didn't think it was as light as it is. One thing I noticed is that its not as long as the 2jz engine so the car has a better centre of gravity and the engine is kinda nearly behind the wheels

Would a 3uz not be the ideal choice if power:weight is the decider?

In stock form its as powerful as the bigger capacity 2uz but much lighter due to it's all alloy construction.

Does the fact that its a VVT-i model make it a more difficult swap when compared to a 1uz or 2uz?

Cost is the biggest issue. 1UZ is very cheap, 2UZ is fairly expensive, 3UZ is big bucks, even if you can find one (they were only used on the SC430 I think).

Waste of time on a JZA80 unless your going to swap in the Rev3 VVTI engine.

A guy on toymods swapped the rev1 soarer lump in and it actually dyno'd 5bhp less than his 2jzge dyno's a few months before he did the swap.

I managed 300bhop from the rev2 engine but that was with aftermarket headers, custom exhaust, Link ECU running VERY rich.

I've done this conversion. Its of medium difficultly if you keep the engine auto. If you go manual you then have the headache of the conversion kit and then you have to have a prop made, mounts made and various other things made.

I'd realisticly budget £2k-5k for this conversion.

It sounds cool and will easily get you into magazines but its better money swapping in a 2JZ-GTE.

Plus when you come to sell it (as i found) there are few people who are willing to part with serious money for it. Its a money pit for little gain other than sound. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone unless they are going to go the whole way and turbo the lump too, as the heads are aweful and dont flow well, even on the later vvti engines. The 3UZ is no better.

At least you can always sell a non turbo which has had a twin turbo swapped into it :)

Also 4.3 litre 3UZ was in the SC430, LS430 and GS430. It may have even been in the Toyota Crown Mejesta.

Edited by northstretch (see edit history)

Would a 3UZ not be the ideal choice if power:weight is the decider? In stock form its as powerful as the bigger capacity 2UZ but much lighter due to it's all alloy construction. Does the fact that its a VVT-i model make it a more difficult swap when compared to a 1UZ or 2UZ?
SC430, GS430, and LS430.

If you intend to mod it (not easy) you should probably use an early 1UZ (pre 1995). The later 1UZ (and 3UZ) conrods are much thinner >>> http://lextreme.com/rods.html.