The mkiv Supra Owners Club

laquering headlights

SupraP-Z

Hey guys,

What do you think about laquering the headlights?

I dont know if you remember my thread about me sanding the inside of my lights when i tried to refurb them (total donut), big mistake. I tried what homer said (thanks for the advice), it worked to a certain extent (sanding down the insides starting from 800 onwards) but i wasnt really happy. So I talked to one of my mates who works in a bodyshop and he said he would laquer them for me.

Now ive read on here thats its not a good idea...but seeing the predicament i was in, i thought id give it a go. I just got the plastic headlight lense back today....it looks an absolute treat! better than glass! all the scratches are out, and its almost crystal clear. Ive read they might have UV protection also, because of the natural properties in the laquer. I will take pictures of the before and after tomorrow morning and post them up for you guys to see.

Just thought it would be nice to share this info with those of you who had never tried it before, works very well!

will put pics up tomorrow morning, and to naff them up? unfortunately i sanded the inside of the headlight, when reading some of the guides id assumed that you had to sand both the inside and the outside when refurbing, how wrong i was...guess i got a bit too excited, but lesson learned, never going to do that again! Laquer and a bit of elbow grease = problem sorted

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

One more thing, cba to make another thread so im just going to write it here. Im trying to remove the passengers side headlight, ive taken the first two nuts and screws off, and now left with the nut right at the bottom.

The one circled in red is the one im on about. Ive tred absolutely everything, the 10mm socket wrench and the extension, spanners, every ounce of my strength with pliers, WD40....and heated it up as well...al to no avail...it has not moved an inch. Ive been doing this since around midday ish, its now 3 o clock...my hands are almost bleeding, and im pretty sure ive got a hernia lol.

I have a feeling it might be glued in...no nut can be this resistant, even if it is in the most awkward place (ive already removed the battery) what should i do? its the only nut holding the bloomin thing in place! i dont know if i should resort to dremmeling it...what do you guys reccomend?