The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dont need a tt?

liam1

had my n/a for 3yrs now and i am wondering wether to change it, is there any n/a owners who feel they dont need a tt and will only have a n/a, or have you had a tt and then got a n/a do you miss the power of the tt, reason i ask is because i bought mine with a body kit already fitted and i fancy a stock looking car now rather than take the kit it off im thinking is this now the time now to change to a tt, i always fancied a stock aero top too opinions appreciated.

I started with a stock Aerotop NA, then put a JDL kit on. Some days I love it, others I'm not convinced. As for NA v TT just wait for all the TT owners to chirp up later. Day to day I think the NA has ample power especially as mine is a daily drive, that said never owned or driven a TT or single. I did the Llandow track day last year and had a great time and didn't leave feeling I wanted a TT however, last two years I've done Supra Pod and have left feeling like a whipped dog. I always have to face the constant barrage of when are we getting a TT from my lad. I have no doubt that if I drove a TT I would want to change but there is absolutely no way I would let the NA go for the silly money now being offered, I'de rather stick it on the drive until my lad can afford to insure it (okay so he's only 13) Hope you make a decision your happy with.

I started with a stock Aerotop NA, then put a JDL kit on. Some days I love it, others I'm not convinced. As for NA v TT just wait for all the TT owners to chirp up later. Day to day I think the NA has ample power especially as mine is a daily drive, that said never owned or driven a TT or single. I did the Llandow track day last year and had a great time and didn't leave feeling I wanted a TT however, last two years I've done Supra Pod and have left feeling like a whipped dog. I always have to face the constant barrage of when are we getting a TT from my lad. I have no doubt that if I drove a TT I would want to change but there is absolutely no way I would let the NA go for the silly money now being offered, I'de rather stick it on the drive until my lad can afford to insure it (okay so he's only 13) Hope you make a decision your happy with.

Nah he only wants a TT :p

Having owned a few now, N/A 5 speed , a TT auto, and now an Aero

I can say a Stock TT isnt all that great. Maybe with Bpu it would be worth it. I would rather have a N/A aero than a stock TT any day of the week.

Thats said a BPU aero would be nice

Can i ask why as ive never even been in a N/A so cant really comment? :)

Can i ask why as ive never even been in a N/A so cant really comment? :)

Sure.

I love the aero as its different and nice to drive in the sun.

The TT is overated IMO, I spent ages on here hearing how great and awesome they where only to find them bland and after a week of kicking down and smiling i grew bored and drove it like i would the N/A anyway thus making it a bit pointless. I really was kind of disapointed in it.

The power of the n/a is quite enough for daily driving.

I will one day drop a TT BPU engine in my aero shell.

I'm similar to TNT - I've had my N/A for about 5 years, used every day and doing at least 300 miles a week with only a couple of minor breakdowns (mostly just down to general age & wear). The power is more than adequate for day to day use and a TT would feel like a bit of a waste if it didn't get me into trouble.

I've done a couple of track days and will be doing more at some point and the N/A is a more than capable track car. Drag racing doesn't do that much for me - after crewing for a fuel funny car that'd do the quarter in 4.5 seconds, everything else seems a bit disappointing.

Occasionally I think it'd be fun to have 400+ BHP, but my money is better spent at the minute and it woulndn't get used to it's full potential often enough.

I drove my N/A for 2 years. Then i dropped a TT lump in it and drove it for another year at BPU level. I only clocked about 1500 miles with the new engine and double the power but I still wanted more! So i sold it untill i can afford something faster...You never NEED more power but you will always want more.

I've had my NA for nearly 5 years, and I use it every day... it's never let me down, and if it was any quicker I would probably be dead or in jail by now :)

For me, it's massively reliable car which looks the bollocks :)

I've had my N/A for about 5 years, used every day and doing at least 300 miles a week with only a couple of minor breakdowns (mostly just down to general age & wear). The power is more than adequate for day to day use and a TT would feel like a bit of a waste if it didn't get me into trouble.

Occasionally I think it'd be fun to have 400+ BHP, but my money is better spent at the minute and it woulndn't get used to it's full potential often enough.

I couldn't agree more with you two gentlemen. This is exactly how I feel about my NA.

wewsupra wrote:

I had a n/a and loved it till one day a golf tdi over took me and i tried to catch him up and i could not gain on him

week later i got n/a to TT put in it lol

This is the problem i have with my n/a. The amount of times i have had all sorts of rubbish cars or cars that i dont think are in the supras league trying to tailgate me, mini coopers, golfs, bmw's, audi tt's. Its a great car but i dont want cars that i think are crap overtaking me. The supra deserves the power to match its looks. So im getting the tt transplant done in september and cannot wait. :eyebrows:

1400kg, and 180-200 bhp after 16 years of abuse. the figures arent exactly awe inspiring. it wasnt the case back in the 90's with competition from 300zx's, mr2's, corrado's etc...etc. but put a stock n/a up against anything current and relatively "sporty", i.e golf gt-TDI (yes diesel), and the 160bhp nissan micra, and you will have a fight on your hands. i found that unfortunately n/a's are all show and no go, this isnt a problem it just depends on what you want from your car. i owned an n/a for four months then part ex'd it for a tt, and i personally think stating that a tt is ovrrated is just crazy!!