The mkiv Supra Owners Club

strange thing.. nearly lost car .. wierd

carl0s

strange thing just happened. It's wet outside like, I had O/D off, straight line road 30mph floored it, spun rear quite a lot.. no prob.. stayed in a straight line near enough and I let off power. Little bit further down the road I was going a bit quicker (40mph) and did the same but.. instead of the rear slipping/sliding a bit as it normally does, it was like a sudden jump to the right from the front of the car. Only slight but enough to worry me like it could have been bad.

wierd?

Originally posted by Darren Blake

What was the road surface like? Supras tramline like hell, even on a stock suspension setup.

Surface was umm average tarmac shite.

I've always wondered what tramlining was but no ones ever told me... what is it?

Is it to do with turning as the road camber changes?

tramlining : due to un-eveness of roads and with the tyres being wide, the tread will run over more uneven road causing the steering to sometimes turn by itself as it runs off the un-eveness. ie. the tread will try to roll off the bump or down in to a dip in the road.

On most motorway and 'A' road surfaces where there are lots of heavy HGV's you may notice that the constant traffic has caused the tarmac to submerge slightly where their wheels go. Tramlinig is very noticable when you run into the tracks from HGV's.

It's not really a problem, as everyone should always drive with two hands on the wheel. And also with all cars having a strong castor setting the wheels should return in a straight line by themselves anyway.

Originally posted by carl0s

strange thing just happened. It's wet outside like, I had O/D off, straight line road 30mph floored it, spun rear quite a lot.. no prob.. stayed in a straight line near enough and I let off power. Little bit further down the road I was going a bit quicker (40mph) and did the same but.. instead of the rear slipping/sliding a bit as it normally does, it was like a sudden jump to the right from the front of the car. Only slight but enough to worry me like it could have been bad.

wierd?

WTF did you expect! :(

Take heed of the advice from Far and HISUPE otherwise you'll be going the same way.

You've got a very powerful RWD car FFS treat it with a little respect ESPECIALLY when its wet.

it seems to track well really. To be honest I think like some have said it must've been someting in the road or perhaps it slipped a bit then suddenly gripped while simuntaneously catching a lump in the road or something :-)

Originally posted by carl0s

well I expected something to happen to the back end, not the front end... is that an unreasonable expectation? ;)

Being that the front is connected to the back it IS unreasonable to not expect it to react when you deliberately try to lose control of the car.

Were not talking about a slot racer car, where the front is constantly guided and the back can swing from side to side at will.

This is the real world with uneven road surfaces, adverse cambers, manhole covers and the like, all of which can make the car react differently to expected.

Drifting a car round a circuit with more controlled conditions is a world apart from spontaneously giving it a bootful on a wet road just to see if you can lose traction :(

I'm not trying to have a go at you carl0s, just maybe trying to make you think before you lose it completely.

In posting this, there's no way that I think that I'm immune from getting out of control and damaging my Supra (or any car if it comes to it) but if the worse happens, heaven forbid, and it was caused by me booting it in the wet, I won't be starting the post with "strange thing just happened" :eek:

Originally posted by geoffvalenti

Being that the front is connected to the back it IS unreasonable to not expect it to react when you deliberately try to lose control of the car.

Were not talking about a slot racer car, where the front is constantly guided and the back can swing from side to side at will.

This is the real world with uneven road surfaces, adverse cambers, manhole covers and the like, all of which can make the car react differently to expected.

Drifting a car round a circuit with more controlled conditions is a world apart from spontaneously giving it a bootful on a wet road just to see if you can lose traction :(

I'm not trying to have a go at you carl0s, just maybe trying to make you think before you lose it completely.

In posting this, there's no way that I think that I'm immune from getting out of control and damaging my Supra (or any car if it comes to it) but if the worse happens, heaven forbid, and it was caused by me booting it in the wet, I won't be starting the post with "strange thing just happened" :eek:

He didnt listen :(

Sorry to see the pics Carl0s. Lets hope you can it fixed up and back to as good as new ASAP. :thumbs:

actually I did listen ;-) I mean to reply to Geoff's post. I was quite impressed by this..

if the worse happens, heaven forbid, and it was caused by me booting it in the wet, I won't be starting the post with "strange thing just happened"

I wasn't actually trying to loose the back end! I was just going a bit quick round a bend and it kicked down and slid. Ah well life goes on :)

Very sad to see the pics Carl, there but for the grace of God etc.

Hopefully it won't be too prohibitive to get it back together.

I always hate using a car once I've advertised it, something always goes wrong with the damn thing :(

The main thing is that You're OK, metal can be replaced!

All the best

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cptsideways

Once you break traction it will follow the camber of the road & or continue in the original direction of travel. Unless you provoke it to go somewhere else. eg drifting.