The mkiv Supra Owners Club

kph to mph...?

Lurch

Hello, I have J-spec TRD kph clocks and was wondering how to convert it to mph? I know about the Thor converter, but do I have to change the clocks? and what clocks can I change to? I've been offered 180mph clocks, would that be right? How do I get the kilometers to be converted to miles?

Yes. To finish the job, all you'll need to do is to replace the "KPH" sticker in the middle of the speedo dial with on that says "MPH".

Actually that depends...

Some TRD speedo faces read up to 320kph - which is yours (question to the OP)?

Can I still convert these clocks?

Yes, but also, no - you don't need a convertor.

Ignore mph/kph for the time being, forget the speedo has numbers on it, and think purely about where the speedo needle points.

e.g. the 12 o'clock position is approx 80mph (from memory!).

the 3 o'clock position is 130mph ish.

On your kph speedo I'm going to guesstimate that those 2 positions are - *quick calculation* - 130kph and 210kph, am I right?

If I am, you just need to change the speedo face - if you were to fit a speed signal convertor, it'll be all wrongified and you'd get a 5/8ths reading Vs your road speed.

On most imports, with a kph face, those two speedo needle positions would be 80KPH and 130KPH, hence the need for a conversion.

Any idea where I can get new mph face from that will work with my clocks? What can I do about the odo meter (Not that im too bothered about that!)

ANY standard Supra face will work with your needle if the current face is laid out as I described.

Ideally you want a "M/H" face (UK only?), but if you get a "KM/H" one just cover up the "K" - the key thing is the positioning of the numbers on the face.

You wil need a speedo convertor to alter the odo, however have a hunt about behind the dash to see if it's already go one - I'm not sure what may have been altered to enable a 320kph speedo face to read correctly, in theory it may be a suitible convertor, that you will just need to rewire slightly to send that 5/8ths signal to the odo as well as the speedo.

Ok I'll double check my clocks tomorrow when i get in from work and post on here if they are as described. If they are then ill look for uk spec clocks and see if they match. Can I swap the whole set of clocks so I can sell the TRD ones or will that makes things very wrong? Thanks for your help much appreciated!!

Ok I'll double check my clocks tomorrow when i get in from work and post on here if they are as described. If they are then ill look for uk spec clocks and see if they match. Can I swap the whole set of clocks so I can sell the TRD ones or will that makes things very wrong? Thanks for your help much appreciated!!

I haven't ever studpied the TRD clock faces but I think the layout of the rest (fuel, temp, revs, etc) is the same, so you should be able to take them apart and swap them ALL over then sell them on, no worries.

The biggest issue is putting the needles back on in the right position, otherwise all the readings are bollxed. ;)

I found this image from thor racing... It looks like U.K spec dials. If you look at the where 120 km/h is on this photo compared to my dials the 120 km/h seems to be set slightly to the left in these dials. What do you think?

Edit: Saying that it might be spot on as the dials never give a true reading do they? or not out enough to worry about...

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/Supra_dials.jpg

Edited by Lurch (see edit history)

I've had a look for some photos of clocks, but nothing seems to be right. There all 180mph clocks which are in totally the wrong place for my needle...

Read back to what I said about the position of the numbers - your setup is perfect for you you can swap your speedo face for a MPH one without fitting an adjustor. :)

Yes, but also, no - you don't need a convertor.

Ignore mph/kph for the time being, forget the speedo has numbers on it, and think purely about where the speedo needle points.

e.g. the 12 o'clock position is approx 80mph (from memory!).

the 3 o'clock position is 130mph ish.

On your kph speedo I'm going to guesstimate that those 2 positions are - *quick calculation* - 130kph and 210kph, am I right? EDIT = YES!

If I am, you just need to change the speedo face - if you were to fit a speed signal convertor, it'll be all wrongified and you'd get a 5/8ths reading Vs your road speed.

On most imports, with a kph face, those two speedo needle positions would be 80KPH and 130KPH, hence the need for a conversion.

Edited by Pixelfill
fixed quote (see edit history)

Right I might be being thick here but need to make sure... Can I buy complete set of U.K spec dials and swap them over and adjust the needle slightly so they are perfect or do I have to buy a mph face and adjust that so that it sits matching the numbers e.g. 120kph to 74mph and so on? Cheers

Right I might be being thick here but need to make sure... Can I buy complete set of U.K spec dials and swap them over and adjust the needle slightly so they are perfect or do I have to buy a mph face and adjust that so that it sits matching the numbers e.g. 120kph to 74mph and so on? Cheers

I believe so, yes. :)