The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bubbling wheel arch

gt4tosupra

DIY bud.

Rub it down, give it a coat of the rust away stuff & then use touch up paint. If its in the lip noone will ever notice.

Get it dealt with though.

Hi pal! When i said in the lip, i meant on the lip:blink: sorry about that! Someone has quoted me £180 says it needs a plate welding in and smoothing over and all that!![sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Hi pal! When i said in the lip, i meant on the lip:blink: sorry about that! Someone has quoted me £180 says it needs a plate welding in and smoothing over and all that!!

Yeah, on the lip is fine.

A plate welding for bubbling? No chance.

Take some pics so that we can see how bad the corrosion is.

Guest dragondrummer
How much roughly should i be paying for a small patch of bubbling:( on the rear wheel arch lip? When i say small, i mean 3 bubbles approx 5mm each in diameter, in a space no bigger than an inch square:rolleyes:

depends on colour! if its a base colour,(black/red/white etc) just a careful de- rust and touch in until the fresh paint is just above the original,then a gentle cut back will work wonders.

if its a metalic,i have yet to see a decent or acceptable finish from touch up efforts,needs to be sprayed,i suspect the quote you got was for the entire panel?

get us a pic.we can have a look see.

is it front or back arch , if is back i would take off inside interior panels check its not going through lots of vauxhalls do that on back arches

its the back pal, but the area is completely accessible from removng the wheel? or is there something i'm missing!!;)

Guest Garfy

has it had any repair work in the past, that almost looks like a bubble caused by traped water rather than rust, try getting a stanley blade and popping it, you might find a load of water comes out of it and it flattens down, it will still need paintwork, but atleast you will know its not going to be worse when you get in there :)

its the back pal, but the area is completely accessible from removng the wheel? or is there something i'm missing!!;)

There is a inner wing put your hand in the wing and feel you cant feel the outer one you have to go inside your car take off where you back speakers are then look in lots of cars rust in this place because the dont protect inside the wheel arch the always leave about 2-3 inches short to the lip. So where they join the inner to the outer wing rain gets in between the to so it starts rusting from inside first main fault with vauxhalls .When i got my car first thing i did is to protect this area with under seal . Not saying yours is doing this but seen lots of cars this happening

little spots like this can be decieving, they can show the tip of the iceberg, i had a very small pin prick of rust that turned into this http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67382&highlight=sill

if you do it yourself with no experience of body work chances are it will look like a bodge, and if you miss the smallest bit of rust it will come back, for what it costs get a body shop to sought it

little spots like this can be decieving, they can show the tip of the iceberg, i had a very small pin prick of rust that turned into this http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67382&highlight=sill

if you do it yourself with no experience of body work chances are it will look like a bodge, and if you miss the smallest bit of rust it will come back, for what it costs get a body shop to sought it

Cheers for the good advice there mate, i will defo not attempt to sort this myself! Bodyshop this week it is, nip it in the bud! My mate from gt4oc looked at it on fri and he seems to think it has been fillered up in the past!