The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlights argh!

SupraP-Z

i have decided to undertake the tedious job of refurbing those bloody yellow things at the front of my car. Thing is, i think ive made a right pigs ear of it...done all the main things, got the headlight apart, took everything out, painted the insides black to give a facelift look, primered first of course. Problem im having is cleaning the plastic lense...by using all grades between 800 and 1500 of wet and dry paper...ive managed to end up with more scratches than i started out with, ive tried farecla g3 compound, followed by meguiars plast-X..to no avail. The headlight looks clean yet cloudy-like because of the thousands of tiny scratches. after reading a couple of threads on here im under the impression that i need to get higher and finer grades of wet and dry to get rid of those scratches...no where around here sells higher than 1500grit paper. What the hell do i do?! i reckon i need to get hold of 2000 and 3000 grit paper, wet and dry the hell out of the lense..and hopefully it will be clear enough to use plast-X or something on there? any help will be appreciated...thanks in advance

I did mine and they are like new!!!

I started with 2500 grit wet sand paper and kept on them for a good 15-20 mins per lense. I then used Greygate plastic polish on them (by hand) and worked on them for a further 5-10 mins. To finish i gave them a good waxing.

They are like new now.

I wouldn't think that yours are unsalvagable, if you work on the with 2500 grit they should even out.

If you need any help I am in Goffs Oak, near Waltham Abbey.

i have decided to undertake the tedious job of refurbing those bloody yellow things at the front of my car. Thing is, i think ive made a right pigs ear of it...done all the main things, got the headlight apart, took everything out, painted the insides black to give a facelift look, primered first of course. Problem im having is cleaning the plastic lense...by using all grades between 800 and 1500 of wet and dry paper...ive managed to end up with more scratches than i started out with, ive tried farecla g3 compound, followed by meguiars plast-X..to no avail. The headlight looks clean yet cloudy-like because of the thousands of tiny scratches. after reading a couple of threads on here im under the impression that i need to get higher and finer grades of wet and dry to get rid of those scratches...no where around here sells higher than 1500grit paper. What the hell do i do?! i reckon i need to get hold of 2000 and 3000 grit paper, wet and dry the hell out of the lense..and hopefully it will be clear enough to use plast-X or something on there? any help will be appreciated...thanks in advance

i got mine cleaned and refurbed 4 months ago cost me £120

they are now again getting that yellow dirty look on the inside:( i would say buy glass ones if you can afford it or save up untill you can they are £308 from toyota and look great and DONT KEEP GOING YELLOW and less hassle :)

i got mine cleaned and refurbed 4 months ago cost me £120

they are now again getting that yellow dirty look on the inside:( i would say buy glass ones if you can afford it or save up untill you can they are £308 from toyota and look great and DONT KEEP GOING YELLOW and less hassle :)

You will think the yellow is on the inside but it won't be. It will be on the outside.

Get some plastix, take the lights out and use LOTS of elbow grease to clean them. The yellow stuff can be quite hard to shift, although plastix does make light work of it, so keep at it.

I never ever use anything other than cutting compound to clean the inside, if you have used sandpaper on the inside you are pretty much screwed IMO. Would take loads of work to get them back to clear due to the refraction ridges.

thanks guys, i guess im going to have to get sum finer grades, and use some proper elbow grease! what kind of motions were you using ilicos? (excuse stupidness) circular...up and down...or all of them? i think this is one of the problems for me...i went mostly up and down with the wet and dry but i have some horizontal scratches also...not good! your quite near to me so i might give you a shout if i get ultra stuck! thanks for that. To wantasupra...arent they pretty much the same things as sponges? i have looked it up...but not very well obviously :D ill give it a try...thanks for the advice

ill just have to get some and give it a go then...ive only done one, n ive already f'd it up! So as ive used sandpaper on the inside...whats the best way to get rid of them scratches? just keep sanding with finer grades? i suppose thats the only thing i can do....its not completely covered with scratches...i can see clear bits where the refracted edges are, the scratches are only in the middle (if that makes sense) im sure with a bit of elbow grease with finer gardes, i could get it back to near normal right? or wil i be needing a new headlight?

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

I know its not ideal but if you've knackered them ....:p...you could buy some off the forum for a few quid, as plenty of people upgrade and you can have a go at doing a proper job :)....

.....or just say stuff it, save your pennies and buy some new facelift, which look very tidy, and a good investment. they'll also save you endless scouring as keeping jspec's clear(ish) is a nonstop job :drag:

Linda x

ill just have to get some and give it a go then...ive only done one, n ive already f'd it up! So as ive used sandpaper on the inside...whats the best way to get rid of them scratches? just keep sanding with finer grades? i suppose thats the only thing i can do....its not completely covered with scratches...i can see clear bits where the refracted edges are, the scratches are only in the middle (if that makes sense) im sure with a bit of elbow grease with finer gardes, i could get it back to near normal right? or wil i be needing a new headlight?

Work them with 800 grit, then 1200, then 2000 then ideally 2500. Then use a good quality cutting agent and you should be able to get the scratches out. Itm just needs a bit of time and patience but they will be fine.

There's loads of suppliers of very greade sandpaper on ebay, I've always used Meguires, it's a bit pricey for what it is, but does the job very well.

I was thinking that, getting another headlight, but after reading homer's post, Im going to give it another go and try and salvage the lights. Ive already gone over them quite vigorously with 800, 1200 and 1500...so should i start from scratch (excuse the pun) and start with the 800 again? or go straight for the finer grades? also how long should i spend on each grade? till ive fully covered the whole inside? or atleast where all the scratches are right? i feel lyk a right 24 carrot plonka lol. appreciate all the help people, thanks

Well, you have nothing to lose by trying again :)

If you've got deep graves then yes, best to start again, but don't go too hard with the 800. You'll need a finer paper than 1500 as that will still leave fine scratches. 2000 is minimum I'd recommend. It's about £10 for a set from ebay. The finer the grade the more you need to work it.

I also wouldn't bother doing too much of the groved area on the inside as it's tricky to cut the scratches out. The biggest difference will be the outside. It's really worthwhile doing this mod, they look so much nicer afterwards.

You will think the yellow is on the inside but it won't be. It will be on the outside.

Get some plastix, take the lights out and use LOTS of elbow grease to clean them. The yellow stuff can be quite hard to shift, although plastix does make light work of it, so keep at it.

I never ever use anything other than cutting compound to clean the inside, if you have used sandpaper on the inside you are pretty much screwed IMO. Would take loads of work to get them back to clear due to the refraction ridges.

is this right my off side headlight is not as shiney as the n/s and ive tried polishing with plastic/x its a bit better but not like the other one which is new